NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card Review Ft. MSI Gaming X ($249) and Ventus XS ($219) – The Best Turing Card For Budget Gamers?
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Gaming X / MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ventus XSMarch, 2019
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Gaming X ($249.99 US) Overview
The MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Gaming X is the top variant within MSI’s GTX 16 series family. This graphics card utilizes the most advanced version of the iconic Twin Frozr cooling system known as the Twin Frozr VII. This graphics card is available in the market for $249.99 US right now which makes it $30 US more expensive than the reference MSRP which is not that big of a difference for a fully custom design with a cooler that seems to look and perform great too. The good thing with this graphics model though is that it excels upon the standard reference models in all possible ways.
In terms of specifications, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 features 1408 CUDA cores, 88 TMUs, and 48 ROPs. The Turing TU116 die used on the graphics card is based around a 12nm process and has a die size of 284mm2. The core clocks for the card are maintained at 1530 MHz for base and 1785 MHz for boost. The MSI Gaming X model is clocked up to 1860MHz (boost) which will be providing better gaming performance than the reference model.
The chip packs a total of 5.0 TFLOPs of FP32 compute power. The cards feature a 6 GB GDDR5 memory interface running along a 192-bit wide bus interface that delivers 192 GB/s bandwidth. The reference model is powered by a single 8 pin connector and has a TDP of 120W.
The Gaming X design is built upon the foundations of the previous Gaming X layout with dual Torx 3.0 fans that come with Zero Frozr technology and the dispersion fan blade design, allowing higher airflow to reach the heatsink underneath the shroud. The card features a custom 4+2 phase power design on the PCB and is powered by a single 8 connector. The custom PCB is fitted with an anti-bending bracket which offers better durability.
Following are some of the features of the MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Gaming X before we go into detail:
- Boost Clock / Memory Speed
1860 MHz / 8 Gbps
- 6GB GDDR5
- DisplayPort x 1 / HDMI x 1 / DVI-D x 1
Twin Frozr 7 Thermal Design
- TORX Fan 3.0
– Dispersion fan blade: Steeply curved blade accelerating the airflow.
– Traditional fan blade: Provides steady airflow to massive heat sink below.
- Mastery of Aerodynamics: The heatsink is optimized for efficient heat dissipation, keeping your temperatures low and performance high.
- Zero Frozr technology: Stopping the fan in low-load situations, keeping a noise-free environment.
RGB Mystic Light
- Customize colors and LED effects with exclusive MSI software and synchronize the look & feel with other components.
- 1 click to optimize all you need for smooth gaming.