How to Transfer Data from Your Old iPad to the New iPad Air!
Just bought the new iPad Air? Or delaying it because you are too tired of transferring data between gadgets? Well, we have some easy solutions. Here is how you can easily transfer data from old iPad to iPad Air [Read: Essential iPad Air Apps to Get Going] using either iTunes or iCloud in just few steps. This guide will help you backup your old iPad and then restore it on the newly purchased Air.
Restoration will transfer your messages, email accounts, photos, videos, notes, and other personal settings to your new iPad Air. Before proceeding though, make sure to update your iPad to the latest iOS 7 to ensure having no compatibility issues later on. In case you want to transfer passwords too to the new iPad then it is possible only using iTunes backup - check this guide to encrypt iPad backup to keep your Keychain information (passwords, WiFi passwords, website signups, etc) backed up and restored too.
How to transfer data from old iPad to iPad Air using iTunes:
- Before proceeding, ensure to have latest iTunes installed on your system. To update, do it via Software Update or download it from here.
- Take a backup of your old iPad following these steps:
- When the backup is done successfully, turn off your old iPad and switch your iPad Air on. Note: at this stage, it is important that you don’t use your old iPad again as it may cause conflicts with the backups in iCloud. Also, unregister or unlink your old iPad from Apple’s website by visiting your profile page.
- On you iPad Air, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup assistant by selecting your language and country. Also choose whether to enable Location Services and your WiFi network.
- When prompted to set up, choose Restore from iTunes Backup. Tap next and enter your Apple ID and password.
- Connect your iPad Air to iTunes (use the same computer you used to back up your old iPad). iTunes will ask if you want to restore from backup or set up as new.
- Choose the backup of your old iPad and select Continue after making sure iTunes is showing you the latest backup.
- Be patient now as restoring is pretty time consuming task depending on the amount of data in the backup along with your internet speed.
- When the restore process is completed, your new iPad will automatically restart and will be ready for use.
- Keep your new iPad Air connected to iTunes to sync music, videos, apps, and so on (data not in your backup).
- Go to the syncing tabs in iTunes to verify and change which data are synced.
- If you don't use encyrpted iPad backup, you will be needed to enter all the passwords for emails and other accounts on your new device.
How to transfer data from old iPad to iPad Air using iCloud:
- Go to Settings app and navigate to iCloud > Storage & Backup and tap on Back Up button.
- When the backup is done, check the Last Backup time to ensure that your backup was successful.
- Turn off your old iPad and turn on your iPad Air. Again, it’s important to not use your old iPad again as it will cause conflicts with the backups in iCloud. Also consider to unregister or unlink your old iPad from Apple’s website by visiting your profile page.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions to complete setup - select language, country, and choose whether to enable Location Services. Also choose your WiFi network.
- When prompted, tap on Restore from iCloud Backup, tap next to enter your Apple ID and password.
- Select latest backup of your old iPad and tap Restore. This step will take time depending on data and internet connectivity. Please be patient.
- When the restore process is completed successfully, your iPad Air will restart.
- iPad Air will now also start re-downloading all your apps in the background. Enter all your passwords as this method does not offer Keychain sync.
That is how simple it is to transfer data from old iPad to iPad Air. Enjoy your new tablet!
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter