Download tvOS 13 Beta on Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD Right Now
Download tvOS 13 beta on your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD right now if you are a registered developer with Apple, here’s how.
It’s pretty much obvious at this point that tvOS isn’t destined to get mind-breaking features. After all, the software is meant to run on a set-top box that is best suited for watching movies, TV shows or AirPlay. However, that doesn’t mean that we don’t need software updates for it in order to keep it ticking along nicely when it comes to day to day usage.
Today, Apple has released for download tvOS 13 beta for both Apple TV 4K and the Apple TV HD. These updates are available over the air as well as fresh restore image files straight from Apple itself. The clean restore is applicable on the Apple TV HD model only since it has a USB-C port in order to interface with iTunes on the desktop, meanwhile Apple TV 4K users will have to make do with the over the air method only.
Note: Please be vary of the fact that the clean restore method will wipe off everything from your Apple TV.
Clean Install and Download tvOS 13 Beta on Apple TV HD
- Sign into your Apple Developer Program account and head straight to the Downloads section.
- Scroll down to the Featured Downloads section and look for the tvOS 13 beta update.
- You’ll see a big blue Download button right next to it. Click on it and download the IPSW file straight to your desktop.
- Now connect your Apple TV HD to your computer using a USB-C cable.
- Launch iTunes, and you’ll see your Apple TV HD show up in the top left-hand corner of iTunes. Click on the little icon that looks like an Apple TV.
- Assuming that the tvOS 13 beta firmware file is done downloading and saved on your desktop, hold down the left Option key on the keyboard and click on Restore Apple TV.
- Select the tvOS 13 beta firmware file saved on your desktop and let iTunes restore it.
- Once iTunes prompts you that you can disconnect your Apple TV HD from your computer, then please do so and reconnect it to your TV.
Download tvOS 13 Beta Over the Air on Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K
Given you have Xcode already installed on your Mac, then you can grab the tvOS 13 beta update over the air. It’s a slightly tricky process and involves your Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K on the same network as your Mac. It’s a simple case of signing into your Apple Developer Program account, going to the Downloads section, downloading the configuration profile onto your Mac and then installing the profile onto your Apple TV using Xcode. Once the profile is installed, you can download tvOS 13 beta update by going to Settings > System > Software Updates in tvOS.
Those looking to downgrade back to tvOS 12 can follow the guide posted below. But remember, it’s applicable to the Apple TV HD model only, not 4K.