ASUS ZenFone 6 Update Improves Camera Rotation Stability and More
The ASUS ROG Phone 2 was released earlier today amid much fanfare. After all, a smartphone that comes with a 240Hz panel and has the 'gamer' aesthetic to it is bound to catch some attention. On the other, non-gamer-y side of things, there's the ASUS ZenFone 6, the company's other flagship device. It packs more or less the same hardware as the ROG Phone 2 and is priced more reasonably. The most notable feature of the device is its flip camera mechanism that allows for a notchless, nearly bezel-less display and a powerful front-facing camera. The Zenfone 6 received an important update today. Here's the changelog:
- Improved Camera Rotation Stability.
- Add Mobile Manager & Cleanup Launcher Shortcut.
- Optimized Camera Quality–EIS Optimized for video recording.
- Optimized Camera Quality–Optimized supernight mode texture and noise reducing.
- Optimized Camera Quality–Removed the evening color cast in supernight mode.
- Optimized Camera Quality–Fixed the flip mechanism on panorama mode.
- General system & app stability improved.
- Increased touch sound on/off toggle.
- Optimized power consumption.
- Optimized Translation Strings.
- Rearranged the position of “Retract camera” to 1st page at quick settings.
- Improved Call Quality.
The build number of the firmware is 16.1220.1906.167, and it includes a host of changes to the camera. The camera rotation mechanism is now more stable. Moving parts introduce an additional point of failure in a smartphone and can use every minor improvement they can get. The other changes are centred around the quality of images captured by the camera. The ZenFone 6 lacks optical image stabilisation (OIS) in the camera lenses and instead uses electronic image stabilisation (EIS). EIS doesn't provide the same results as OIS, so any minor upgrade to it goes a long way in helping users capture better images. General system optimizations and bug fixes that enhance the system experience are also included. You can check if you're eligible for the update on your ZenFone 6 by going to Settings > System > System updates. Additionally, you can follow these instructions to flash the firmware manually.