Insurgency: Sandstorm’s First Big Update Adds Team Deathmatch, a Firing Range, and More
Insurgency: Sandstorm has just released its first big update since launching in December, offering up new ways for the game’s hardcore shooter fans to play. Most notably, classic Team Deathmatch has been added, along with a firing range where you can test out the game’s weapons. Speaking of weapons, there are five new firearms to play with, including the MP5A2, MP5A5, M240B, MG3, and PF940. You can check out a trailer for Sandstorm’s first content update, below.
Here’s a rundown of all the new features and content included in the update:
New Arcade playlist in Play section:
- Currently features Team Deathmatch at 24 players.
- The playlist will be updated with new Arcade modes in future updates, but all modes will be available through Community Servers found under Coop or Versus.
- New Team Deathmatch game mode.
- Upgrade to Unreal Engine 4.21.
New Range level in Tutorials section.
- Allows players to test all weapons, equipment, and upgrades in the game on both living and nonliving targets.
Competitive queue time penalty.
- Leaving a Competitive match early will prevent a player from queueing. The penalty increases with each instance.
- If a match ends in a tie, a team will need to get a two-point lead over the other team to win, with a faction switch every round.
- Ability to vote to kick players on community servers.
- Community Test Environment (CTE) now available in your Steam Library. The CTE is a version of the game that will be opened periodically throughout development to allow players to preview and test future updates before they are released.
- Restricted areas added to tactical map.
- PF940 pistol
- MP5A5 submachine gun
- M240B machine gun
- MP5A2 submachine gun
- MG3 machine gun
- Combat Goggles
- Knuckles Fingerless
- One Hole Skull
- Two Hole Skull
- Snake Bite
- Dead Woods
- Skull Compass
- Renamed Insurgent Headgear slot to Facewear.
- Added new truck for drive in sequence at the start of Security Checkpoint.
- Added new shockwave reaction system, allowing various props to audibly resonate when an explosive detonates near them.
Added new Taglines:
- Most Defensive Kills – Get the most kills while defending an objective.
- Scavenger – Killed 10 enemies with a weapon that has been picked up.
- Resourceful – Killed 25 enemies with a weapon that has been picked up.
- Jacket – Killed 30 enemies with a weapon that has been picked up.
- Added new gas canister props that can be detonated.
If you need to know about every minor tweak and bug fix, you can get the full patch notes here.
In addition to the update, Insurgency: Sandstorm developer New World Interactive has announced the game has sold over 500,000 copies. Not Call of Duty numbers, but not bad for an indie project. In celebration, the game will be 20 percent off until March 5.
Insurgency: Sandstorm is currently available on PC. The game hits Xbox One and PS4 sometime in 2019. You can check out Wccftech’s review of the game, right here.