HTC One M9 has just released and the device has managed to take the top spot among the news headlines. From having overheating issues to our beloved Robert Downing JR. sporting it in quirky, missing marketing videos - HTC has tried to get it a lot of attention. Developers have proved to be quite quick though with breaking and rooting this latest smartphone. You can now root HTC One M9 (that is if you have already got your hands on it) and install custom recovery tool to make it ready for the awesomeness of custom ROMs that are about to flood us.
Prerequisites before you root HTC One M9:
- Charge your HTC One to at least 70% of battery level.
- Create backup of all your important data in your HTC One.
- Make sure that USB Drivers for HTC One are installed on your computer; ensure to have HTC Sync on your PC - get it from here.
- Enable USB Debugging: go to About and tap multiple times on Build Number until you get the notification > You are now a developer. Enable USB Debugging from Settings > Developer options.
- Ensure to have your HTC One M9 with an unlocked bootloader.
Note: This tutorial will run you through the procedure of getting super rights on your new HTC One M9. Rooting your Android devices enables you to do everything with your phone giving you complete system rights. However, it does come with a trade-off of loosing your manufacturer warranty so please think before rooting and unlocking bootloader of your brand new HTC One M9.
Install recovery tool and root HTC One M9:
- Download Minimal ADB & Fastboot from this link; also download HTC Sync Manager to get the drivers on your computer from this link.
- Download custom recovery for your HTC One M9 from this link. Save the .img file in the same directory as the Minimal ADB.
- Next, download SuperSU from here.
Here are the steps to root HTC One M9:
- Open folder where you installed Minimal ADB > on your keyboard, hold Shift and right-click on an empty space in the window > click on Open Command Prompt here. Type the following commands:
- adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img (TWRP.img represents recovery file's name, whatever that be)
- adb devices
- Reboot HTC One M9.
- Connect it to your computer.
- Copy SuperSU.zip file on your device and switch off the smartphone.
- Wait for some 10 seconds and boot it in Recovery mode: hold the Power and Volume Down keys and choose Recovery.
- Once in Recovery mode, use TWRP recovery tool to install the SuperSU.zip file: tap Install > choose .zip file.
- When installation is all done, reboot your smartphone.
- And that's done!
You have successfully rooted your latest HTC One M9 and installed a recovery tool on it. You can confirm it through Root Checker app. Stay tuned to this space as we will share the latest and stable custom ROMs for M9.ht