How to Unlock Nexus 6P Bootloader – Android Guides
Nexus 6P is this year's high-end smartphone from Huawei and Google. Carrying the tag of Nexus, users expect to experiment a lot with the new Nexus device as soon as they get their hands on it. Before you can really start playing with the smartphone, you need to unlock its bootloader. Following are all the steps that you need to follow to unlock Nexus 6P bootloader. Once done, you can go on to root your device, install a custom recovery on it, and enjoy custom firmware builds as they come.
Android 6.0 Marshmallow based custom ROMs are under development. We will be sharing these with you as soon as some stable builds are available. Until that happens, have fun with the system settings of your Nexus.
Prerequisites to check before you unlock Nexus 6P bootloader:
- Create a backup of your device as this process erases all the data.
- Install Nexus 6P USB drivers.
- Set up Fastboot / ADB with Android SDK. If you have Android SDK, you can download fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory.
- Make sure your Nexus 6P is charged up to at least 80%
How to unlock Nexus 6P bootloader:
First phase on your Nexus 6P:
- Go to Settings > About Phone.
- Enable Developer Options: Scroll down to Build Number and tap on it repeatedly until you see a notification informing you that you have enabled Developer Options.
- Go back to the Settings menu > Bootloader Mode.
- Scroll down and check the Enable OEM Unlock box.
- Also, enable USB Debugging while you are in the Developer Options menu.
- Now, turn your Nexus 6P off.
- Boot into Fastboot mode: press Power + Volume Up + Volume Down keys until you see some text on the screen.
Second phase on your PC / Mac:
- Connect your Nexus 6P to your computer using a USB cable.
- Open a command prompt/Terminal from within your fastboot folder (where fastboot.exe is located - the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory). You can open the command prompt anywhere from this folder: Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt.
- Check your Fastboot connection with this command:
- If this command returns your device serial number, you can proceed to the next steps. If not, you need to reinstall your device drivers.
- Now run the following command to unlock bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
- Follow the onscreen instructions and confirm bootloader unlocking.
- Your Nexus 6P will reboot itself. If not, issue the following command to reboot it:
- Once done, you can disconnect the USB cable.
Remember, this erases all your data so it is highly recommended to unlock bootloader before you start using your device and installing millions of apps on it. Alternatively, you can always create a backup to restore to it after unlocking Nexus 6P bootloader.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter