Galaxy Tab S4 Receiving Android Pie Update Globally
The state of Android of tablets is grim, primarily due to a lot of OEMs shying away from manufacturing them. The Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is arguably one of the best tablets out there and today, it is receiving its Android Pie update globally. The first variants to receive the OneUI-based update were the LTE models in a small selection of markets, including Brazil, France, India and Singapore. This time around, both the WiFi and LTE models of the tablet will receive the update. Here's the full changelog according to Samsung's website.
One UI brings you Android Pie, with exciting new features and a whole new look and feel based on feedback from users in Samsung and Google.
We recommend that you back up your important data to keep it safe before the upgrade.
Some apps, including Calculator, Samsung Internet, Samsung Health, Samsung Notes, Samsung Members, and Samsung Pay, need to be updated individually after you update your OS.
Here’s what’s new.
- Content, settings, and other information have been reorganized to keep you focused on the task at hand.
- Interactive elements have been moved to the bottom of the screen so they're always within reach.
- New designs and features such as Night mode help keep your eyes comfortable.
- You can reply to messages directly in the notification panel.
- Image thumbnails are included in message notifications.
- In an app's notification settings, tap the switch once to turn on or off all the notifications in a category.
- New Unicode 11.0 emojis are available.
- New adaptive theme changes your keyboard look based on the colors of the surrounding app.
- Floating keyboard is available in all apps and has new size and transparency settings.
- You can set a custom touch and hold delay.
Device care (formerly Device maintenance)
- Performance modes are streamlined and integrated into power saving modes.
- Menus have been reorganized to make settings easier to find.
- Continue using your phone while DeX is being displayed on a monitor or TV.
- Use Samsung DeX with supported HDMI adapters. No need for a DeX Station.
- Bixby is all new, with a range of improvements and new features.
- Swipe left from the main Bixby screen to explore the latest features and supported apps.
- You can control the Bixby key in settings to decide what happens when you press or double press.
- The new drawer menu makes it easier to manage contacts from various accounts.
- The new Scene optimizer automatically enhances the camera's color settings to fit the scene.
- Photo Editor Pro's editing tools have been added to Gallery, so you can make all your edits and touchups without leaving the app.
- The new storage analysis tool has been added to help you monitor your storage usage and save space.
- You can now show or hide items on the My Files Home screen.
Other improvements and changes
- Access Kids Home on the quick panel.
- Call stickers has been discontinued.
- HEIF images are now supported
The update weighs in around the 1.4GB mark and the exact size may vary depending on location, choice of carrier and similar factors. It brings Samsung's new OneUI design scheme to the Galaxy Tab S4 along with a host of new features such as a fully functional photo editor in the gallery, Like all major software updates, this one is being rolled out in parts as well. Chances are, you may have to wait up to a few days before you receive the update on your device, depending on where you live.