Galaxy Tab S4 Wi-Fi Model Receiving Its Android Pie Update in the US
The state of Android tablets is less than ideal, with several big players opting to not release any in the past few years. Samsung, however, still believes in the tablet ecosystem and has consistently released some decent-tier tablets such as the Galaxy Tab S4, which is their flagship offering. Today, the tablet is set to receive its Android Pie update in the US. The release was inevitable, considering that international variants of the Galaxy Tab S4 had already started receiving the update a few days ago. Here's the full changelog according to Samsung's website:
Upgraded One UI for Android Pie
One UI brings you Android Pie, with exciting new features and a whole new look and feel based on feedback from users in Samsung and Google.
We recommend that you back up your important data to keep it safe before the upgrade.
Some apps, including Calculator, Samsung Internet, Samsung Health, Samsung Notes, Samsung Members, and Samsung Pay, need to be updated individually after you update your OS.
Here’s what’s new.
- Content, settings, and other information have been reorganized to keep you focused on the task at hand.
- Interactive elements have been moved to the bottom of the screen so they're always within reach.
- New designs and features such as Night mode help keep your eyes comfortable.
- You can reply to messages directly in the notification panel.
- Image thumbnails are included in message notifications.
- In an app's notification settings, tap the switch once to turn on or off all the notifications in a category.
- New Unicode 11.0 emojis are available.
- New adaptive theme changes your keyboard look based on the colours of the surrounding app.
- Floating keyboard is available in all apps and has new size and transparency settings.
- You can set a custom touch and hold delay.
Device care (formerly Device maintenance)
- Performance modes are streamlined and integrated into power saving modes.
- Menus have been reorganized to make settings easier to find.
- Continue using your phone while DeX is being displayed on a monitor or TV.
- Use Samsung DeX with supported HDMI adapters. No need for a DeX Station.
- Bixby is all new, with a range of improvements and new features.
- Swipe left from the main Bixby screen to explore the latest features and supported apps.
- You can control the Bixby key in settings to decide what happens when you press or double press.
- The new drawer menu makes it easier to manage contacts from various accounts.
- The new Scene optimizer automatically enhances the camera's colour settings to fit the scene.
- Photo Editor Pro's editing tools have been added to Gallery, so you can make all your edits and touchups without leaving the app.
- The new storage analysis tool has been added to help you monitor your storage usage and save space.
- You can now show or hide items on the My Files Home screen.
Other improvements and changes
- Access Kids Home on the quick panel.
- Call stickers have been discontinued.
- HEIF images are now supported.
This update carries version numbers T830XXU2BSD1/T830OXM2BSD1 and weight in at a little under 1.5GB. It is more or less identical to the update that the Galaxy S9, Note 9 and other eligible devices have received. The LTE variant of the tab should also receive the update in the coming week.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter