Latest Android Updates: Verizon Rolls Out Update for S7 and S7 edge, Nokia 8 To Get Oreo, Moto X Play Gets Nougat
Verizon has started rolling out an update for both Galaxy S7 and S7 edge smartphones. The new update brings various changes including enhanced voice recognition, new features for corporate owners, bug fixes, and August security patch. There are two versions for the update - NRD90M.G930VVRU4BQH4 and NRD90M.G935VVRU4BQH4.
It's worth noting that this release does not include BlueBorne fixes as that was a part of September's patch, so it will come bundled with the next update. Although some OEMs rolled out BlueBorne fixes in older patches, like OnePlus, Verizon has not included it. Other big bug fixes that come with this update are for Wi-Fi call performance and voice recognition. Now, Galaxy S7 and S7 edge users on Verizon can take advantage of OK Google even when their device is on power saving mode.
Corporate improvements bundled with the update are Android for Work with USB port file transfers, notification from Knox, voicemail speed dial, and fixes for both OneTalk and Knox. The OTA is currently rolling out for all the unit of S7 and S7 edge on Verizon and is also listed on Verizon's website. You can also check for the update manually on your device by heading to Settings > About Phone > Software Updates > Check for updates.
Changelog at a glance
Improved Wi-Fi call performance
- Prevent Wi-Fi voice call drops.
Improved voice recognition
- Improved "OK Google" command detection when using the power saving modes.
- Samsung S Voice app performance improvements.
Additional fixes and improvements
- Fixes an issue preventing contact name from displaying during incoming voice calls.
- Fixes an issue that could cause Mobile Hotspot to not turn on when enabled from the notification (quick settings) panel.
- Provides a notification panel option to delay app updates.
Improvements for corporate owners
- Android for Work (AFW) users can now prevent file transfers via the USB port.
- Voice mail speed dialing and notifications are now available within the Knox container.
- Resolves an issue that was causing Knox license activation to fail under certain scenarios.
One TalkSM voice calling
- Improvements to One Talk voice call performance when Power Saving setting is set to maximum.
Nokia 8 to Get Oreo by the end of October
HMD Global had earlier confirmed that Nokia 8 would be getting Android 8.0 Oreo update soon. And today, the company revealed that it will be rolling out the Oreo update to Nokia 8 by the end of October. At a press conference in Taiwan, HMD officials confirmed that Nokia 8 is all set to get the taste of Oreo in late October.
Nokia 8 is launching in many countries in the first week of October, but in some regions, it is already up for purchase. It's good on HMD Global to bring the Oreo update on Nokia 8 earlier than expected. If the company continues to be as punctual for updates, then its buyer base is set to increase. Not just Nokia 8, other Nokia Android-powered phones like Nokia 3, Nokia 5, and Nokia 6 will also be receiving Android 8.0 Oreo update by the end of 2017.
Moto X Play Gets Android 7.1.1 Nougat
While Nokia is prepping for Oreo update, Moto X Play is getting Android 7.1.1 Nougat update. Motorola has finally pushed the update, but it is still unclear if it is for specific regions only. For now, all we know is that Moto X Play users in Brazil have got the update with one of the latest security patches, but the changelog does not reveal whether it is August patch or September patch.
For Moto X Play users in other regions, we recommend you to do a manual check on your phone by going to Settings > About phone > check for update.