Insider Trading: CitizenCon & Star Citizen
The Story of Star Citizen
The Story So Far
Yes, yes. We all know that SC is the darling of the crowdfunding world at over $92m and counting, but that’s meaningless to us. We want the game. Well here’s the thing, it’s not finished yet. What we do have though are:
- Hangar module: Walk around in your own personal hangar with your ship(s).
- Social module: Walk around a landing zone/shops/bars etc with other players.
- Arena Commander: Fly spaceships!
AC currently has the following game modes available:
- Tutorial: A guided tour of how to fly and basic combat manoeuvres with an instructor.
- Free Flight: Fly around by yourself without any need to fight so you can explore the maps and learn the controls in safety.
- Vanduul Swarm: Take on the vicious alien enemies of humanity, the Vanduul with AI co-pilots and enemies.
- Murray Cup Racing: Spaceship racing without weapons. This is all about speed and handling.
- Battle Royale: Multiplayer deathmatch.
- Squadron Battle: Multiplayer team deathmatch.
- Capture the Core: Multiplayer capture the flag.
- Vanduul Swarm Coop: Multiplayer vs. AI Vanduul.
- Multiplayer Murray Cup Racing: As above but with live opponents instead of AI.
The game itself is seriously shaping up. Arena Commander is excellent and extremely playable and as the game powers on to a million backers (999,875 at time of writing) [ed note; they're over 1 Million now], the future has never looked brighter. Have there been delays? Of course, this is software development after all and it’s fairly safe to say that being an alpha backer is not for the faint of heart, but overall day after day, month after month and year after year, Cloud Imperium Games are steadily chipping away at the mountain of functionality to be delivered.
I spent the first couple of years following the game reading the comm-links, posting on the forums, playing the occasional match (my pc wasn’t entirely up to spec until earlier this year). Since I’ve gotten my new machine, I’ve found an increasing portion of my free time dedicated to the game and I now regularly play with a group of people a couple of times a week.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter