Here’s How to Change Home Screen App Icons on Your iPhone or iPad Running iOS 14
iOS 14 offers a wide range of customization options compared to iOS 13. While everything is still under Apple's walled garden, there are some pretty sweet options to try out. For one, iOS 14 now lets you change app icons on the Home screen. Take note that the method is not direct and requires the Shortcuts app.
iOS 14 Lets You Change App Icons on Home Screen - Here's How to do it
As mentioned earlier, iOS 14 will allow you to customize or change app icons on the Home screen using the Shortcuts app. If you're unfamiliar with the technique, we have prepared a set of step by step instructions that you can follow to change Home screen app icons on iOS 14. Simply follow the listed instructions and you're good to go.
Before we dive in and detail how to do it, there are two limitations to the operation that you should take note of. Firstly, tapping on the custom app icon will launch the Shortcuts first and then the app will be opened. Secondly, Notification badges won't be available. Be sure to consider the limitations before proceeding to the guide.
1. The first thing that you have to do is launch the Shortcuts app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Now, tap on the + button situated on the top right corner.
3. Tap on Add Action.
4. Search for Open Apps in the text field.
5. Select the Open App result that appeared.
6. Tap on Choose.
7. Now, use the search field to find the app you want to customize the icon of and select it.
8. Once you do that, tap on the three dots in the top right corner of the display.
9. Tap on Add to Home Screen.
10. After you do that, tap on the placeholder app icon and from the menu, select the option that you see fit for yourself to add the image - Take Photo, Choose Photo, or Choose File. We went with the second option.
11. Select the image that you want to replace the icon with.
12. Now rename the app as you wish it to show on the Home screen.
13. Tap on Add and then Done. Your shortcut is now created.
That's all that you have to do in order to change the app icon in iOS 14 on your iPhone or iPad's Home screen. Simply return to the Home screen and you will see that the app icon has changed. Take note that you will now have two icons for the same app - the new one that you just created and the stock one. Simply remove the stock icon to the App Library. Take note that you should not delete the original app.
That's all that you have to do to change app icons in iOS 14 on your iPhone or iPad's Home screen. The process is a bit long so follow each step with care. iOS 14 has a lot more to offer to the Home screen. It lets you add widgets, create stacks of widgets and much more. Do stick with us for more guides. Let us know in the comments how you liked the experience.
Products mentioned in this post
The links above are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, Wccftech.com may earn from qualifying purchases.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter