Google Releases October Security Patch For Pixel and Nexus Devices – Direct Links OTA Files and Factory Images
Google just released October security update for Pixel and Nexus devices. While last month’s security update skipped schedule, Google stuck to schedule for October update. As usual, the update brings an array of bug fixes along with security patches.
Unlike Nougat, Oreo has fewer singular carrier builds for the Pixel and Pixel XL devices. A single build caters to Project Fi and Canadian carriers while the rest are grouped under “Other carriers” version. Notably, Canadian carrier Rogers only mentions security patches in this update.
Coming to the issues that were resolved with October update, a total of 8 issues were fixed in the security patch dated October 1, 2017, while six have been taken care of on October 5, 2017, patch. Google states that the two security patch level strings offer “Android partners with the flexibility to more quickly fix a subset of vulnerabilities that are similar across all Android devices.” The update also takes care of 38 additional fixes.
There has been a dedicated section for Pixel/Nexus devices in the security bulletin, and starting today, we are seeing a new section for Google phones and tablets too.
Vulnerabilities fixed in the October patch
Just like previous security patches, this one also takes care of several vulnerabilities ranging from moderate to critical. The most critical vulnerability was the remote code execution that could take over devices when browsing, sending emails, or MMS. Google states that the vulnerability has not affected any user yet, but the threat lingers and that’s why security updates are posted every month.
Other issues resolved in the October update are DNS vulnerabilities and Dnsmasq related exploits. Google also notes that it has received no reports for the active customer exploitation or abuse of the latest reported issues.
Here are the direct links for OTA files and Factory Images:
- Pixel XL: Android 8.0 —OPR1.170623.027 (Fi/Canada), OPR3.170623.008 — Factory Image (2)
- Pixel: Android 8.0 —OPR1.170623.027 (Fi/Canada), OPR3.170623.008 — Factory Image (2)
- Pixel C: Android 8.0 —OPR1.170623.027 — Factory Image
- Nexus 6P: Android 8.0 — OPR5.170623.007 — Factory Image
- Nexus 5X: Android 8.0 —OPR4.170623.009 — Factory Image
- Nexus 6: Android 7.1.1 —N6F27M, NGI77B (Verizon) — Factory Image (2)
- Nexus 9 (LTE): Android 7.1.1 — N4F27P — Factory Image
- Nexus 9: Android 7.1.1 —N9F27M — Factory Image
- Pixel XL: Android 8.0 —OPR1.170623.027 (Fi/Canada), OPR3.170623.008 — OTA (2)
- Pixel: Android 8.0 —OPR1.170623.027 (Fi/Canada), OPR3.170623.008 — OTA (2)
- Pixel C: Android 8.0 —OPR1.170623.027 — OTA
- Nexus 6P: Android 8.0 — OPR5.170623.007 — OTA
- Nexus 5X: Android 8.0 —OPR4.170623.009 — OTA
- Nexus 6: Android 7.1.1 —N6F27M, NGI77B (Verizon) — OTA (2)
- Nexus 9 (LTE): Android 7.1.1 — N4F27P — OTA
- Nexus 9: Android 7.1.1 —N9F27M — OTA