Download and Manually Install August Security Updates on Google Pixel and Pixel XL
Google has started to release the August security updates for its Pixel, Pixel XL, and compatible Nexus devices. Today's update brings fixes to over 40 security issues, making it an important update. You will soon receive OTA notifications to update your Pixel to NJH47F Android 7.1.2 Nougat if you haven't already (the code changes for different carriers). However, if you want to manually update and root your Pixel and Pixel on NJH47F Android 7.1.2, the following guide will help you with links and steps.
Prerequisites to flash NJH47F Android 7.1.2
- Create a backup of all important data on your Pixel device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Pixel on your computer.
- Unlock Pixel bootloader.
- The Android SDK should be installed on your PC with ADB and Fastboot command working.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to enable USB Debugging.
- Ensure that your Pixel phone carries more than 70% charge.
Steps to install NJH47F Android 7.1.2 manually on your Pixel and Pixel XL
- Connect your device using a USB cable and turn it off. Make sure that Fastboot is installed on your PC.
- Now, start the device in Fastboot mode: Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys until you see the Fastboot menu and the START text on top.
- Extract the downloaded Android 7.1.2 file on your PC. Go to _NJH47F_ folder and copy/paste all the files to your Fastboot directory (which often is the platform-tools folder inside the Android SDK directory).
- This step involves flashing the factory image to your Pixel device. Open the Fastboot folder where we just copied our Nougat factory files. In the address bar, type cmd and type the command written below and press enter.
- On Windows: Run flash-all.bat
- On Mac: Run flash-all.sh using Terminal
- Linux: Run flash-all.sh
- Once the script finishes running, your Pixel will reboot. First boot may take up to 5 minutes, so don't worry if it takes your device takes longer than usual to boot up.
Once you are done with the installation process, follow the steps here to root Pixel and XL on NJH47F Android 7.1.2 Nougat.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter