How To Set Up Payments On Google Home And Shop On Google Express
As we reported earlier, Google has finally bestowed payments functionality on Google Home with the help of Google Assistant. The smart speaker can now be used to make payment with the help of Google Assistant, which is deeply integrated into Google Home. With the latest update, Google Assistant can now take voice commands for purchasing stuff from Google Express retailers.
Google Home can now be used to buy things from the retailers who are a part of the Google Express service. For now, there are more than fifty retailers that are listed on the service, and the availability of Google Express is region specific too. Some of the famous retailers that are a part of Google Express are - Target, PetSmart, Kohl’s, and much more. If you want to test your Google Home smart speaker, then you can buy at one of the stores listed on Google Express.
Before we proceed, you should also first check whether the update has reached your Google Home or not. You can check by asking the Google Assistant - “OK Google, how do I shop?” and If your Google Assistant responds - "try shopping again tomorrow." then it means that the update has not reached your device yet.
Here are the step-by-step instructions that you need to follow to complete the payment process on Google Home
- Open the Google Home app on your smartphone and then tap on the hamburger menu icon (three horizontal lines) in the top left corner.
- Make sure that the Google Account listed on the menu is the same one that you used for setting up Google Home. In case it is not, then you can tap on the triangle icon next to the account name for selecting the default account.
- After ensuring the correct account, tap on "More Settings" and scroll down to find the option - Google Account settings. Now, in there, locate and tap on “Payments" option and then tap on "Get started".
- Now, agree to the terms of service by tapping on the Accept option and then choose your default payment method.
Two ways to choose the default payment method on Google Home
- If you have previously configured a payment method for another Google service such as the Play Store, then you can choose the same payment method by tapping "Next".
- If you have not added a payment method to any Google service, then you have to add details now by tapping on "Add credit or debit card," which will then ask you details such as card information, billing name, billing street address, and phone number. After filling in the details, review them and then tap on the "Save" option. These card details are stored as your default payment method; now you can tap on “Next” to complete the remaining process.
Adding Delivery Address
The app will now ask you to choose a delivery address. If you already have a saved address for any other Google service, then you can just select it and tap on "Next". If you don't have a saved address, then you need to tap on "Add new address" and fill in the details. After filling in the address, tap on "Save".
Selecting Google Home Device For Payments
After you complete the previous process, you will see a page that asks you to select which of your Google Home devices can perform payments. If you have more than one Google Home device then you will see a toggle button in front of each name - you can toggle “On" or "Off" to enable or disable payments on them.
Search Google Express Store for Availability in Your Area
The payment setup process is now complete and you can start using your Google Home for buying stuff from Google Express service. The availability of service depends on your delivery area. You can check if your delivery area is supported by Google Express by entering the ZIP code on this page.
Here are a few examples of voice commands that Google has mentioned in its blog for ordering via Google Assistant
- If you want to add item to an existing shopping list then you have to say - “Add paper towels to my shopping list”, or “Add sanitiser to my shopping list”, or any other item that you want to add.
- If you want to add multiple items to an existing shopping list then you have to say - “Add paper towels and batteries to my shopping list”.
- If you just want to run through your shopping list then you can give this voice command - “What’s on my shopping list?”
You can find more information about Google Express participant stores, Order cancellation, Order tracking by going to this page.
We hope this article helps you in setting up your Google Home for making payments on Google Express. For now, there are not many stores, but we can expect more to join after the service becomes popular among users.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter