AMD Unleashes Radeon HD 8970M “Neptune” GPU For High Performance Notebooks
AMD has added a new product to their "Solar System" series of mobile graphic cards, the Radeon HD 8970M. Powered by the high performance GCN core architecture that delivers outstanding visuals to gamers.
AMD Radeon HD 8970M "Neptune" Mobile GPU Unleashed
The Radeon HD 8970M is codenamed "Neptune" which represents it being part of AMD's solar system series. AMD Radeon HD 8970M has similar specifications as the Radeon HD 7970M which include 1280 SPs enabled on the Pitcairn core clocked at 850 MHz while the GPU also brings new GPU boost technology which allows the core to run upto 900 MHz. The chip has a peak single precision compute performance of 2.304 TFlops and 144 GFlops of double precision computing power. It ships with 2-4 GB of GDDR5 memory clocked at 1200 MHz and running across a 256-bit bus interface.
It can be noted from the performance slides that the Radeon HD 8970M is much faster than the GeForce GTX 680M solution from NVIDIA. AMD didn't seem to put the chip against the faster GTX 680MX, not to mention the upcoming GeForce GTX 780M that starts shipping from next month, benchmarks can be seen here. MSI GX70 notebooks would be among the first to make use of the new Radeon HD 8970M graphics chip and can already been seen detailed here. The HD 8970M comes with AMD's Enduro technology built specifically for mobile GPUs so that they can conserve power when the system doesn't needs to load GPU intensive tasks. Compute is a main focus for AMD these days and we can already see them showcasing TressFX benchmark results in the slides.
Here's what AMD has to say about their newly released and Worlds fastest mobile chip aka Radeon HD 8970M:
"Today's gaming notebooks need a graphics card that is fast, powerful and energy-efficient," said Matt Skynner, corporate vice president and general manager, Graphics Business Unit, AMD. "The AMD Radeon HD 8970M GPU is the perfect combination of technologies, blending performance, immersive features and an extensive battery life that delivers an unrivaled gaming experience, even on the go." AMD
"When developing our new gaming notebook, the MSI GX70, we required a graphics card that would truly enhance the gaming experience. The AMD Radeon HD 8970M graphics card exceeded our expectations," said Eric Kuo, vice president for Global Sales and Marketing, MSI Notebook. "Its speed, features and intelligent power capabilities perfectly complement our product. The GX70 is surely designed for professional and top tier gamers."
AMD Radeon HD 8970M Features and Benefits:
- Speed: Featuring AMD's GCN Architecture, the AMD Radeon HD 8970M GPU is built for speed and designed from the ground up to provide the best experience in the top PC games for today and tomorrow.
- Intelligent Power Features: AMD's Enduro Technology allows the AMD Radeon HD 8970M GPU to optimize battery life. The power features are inherently dynamic, delivering instant performance when needed and adjusting GPU requirements when in idle mode.
- Multi-Display Optimization: AMD Eyefinity technology allows for the highest quality multi-display gaming spread across several different monitors, creating an immersive experience.
- Engineered for Compute: AMD App Acceleration harnesses the compute power of the AMD Radeon GPU to take workload off the CPU and provide unprecedented performance in everyday applications. The AMD Radeon HD 8970M GPU offers improved performance and enhanced visual effects5.
- Unparalleled Image Quality & Video Playback: The AMD Radeon HD 8970M GPU is the ideal entertainment and productivity tool that provides smooth video playback and maximizes image quality for all of your multimedia needs.
- DirectX 11.1 Support: Offers full support for DirectX 11.1 and Windows 8 for all of today and tomorrow's games and applications.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter