Whoa! First Windows 10 Redstone 3 Insider Preview Build Starts Flying Today
Creators Update may not be out for the public yet but Dona Sarkar along with her Windows development team is already on the Redstone 3 development. Microsoft has announced a brand new Windows 10 Redstone 3 Insider Preview build 16170 for PC. Windows 10 Redstone 3 is expected to bring major changes to the operating system, including a new design overhaul, My People bar, and several other feature improvements.
However, all of that will take some time to be introduced to the Fast ring Insiders. As reported earlier this week, Microsoft is focusing on some behind the scenes improvements before coming to any visible major changes. “You won’t see many big noticeable changes or new features in new builds just yet,” Sarkar wrote. “That’s because right now, we’re focused on making some refinements to OneCore and doing some code refactoring and other engineering work that is necessary to make sure OneCore is optimally structured for teams to start checking in code.”
This means that you will be seeing even more painful bugs, which is why Insiders have been advised to move to Slow or Release Preview rings for the time being. More details on this can be found in this post.
Windows 10 Redstone 3 Preview Build 16170 for PC changelog
Microsoft is kicking off Windows 10 Redstone 3 development today. Considering Windows 10 16170 is the first from the new development branch (first for Insiders, at least), we didn’t expect to see any new features. The build focuses on a few bug fixes and minor improvements, along with a long list of known issues. Here’s the changelog.
- We fixed the issue causing your PC to fail to install new builds on reboot with the error 8024a112.
- We have updated the share icon in File Explorer (in the Share tab) to match our new share iconography.
- We fixed an issue where Cortana Reminders was displayed as a possible share target when Cortana wasn’t enabled.
- We fixed an issue where Miracast sessions would disconnect a minute or so after the Connect UI was closed if the connection was a first time pairing.
- We fixed a high-DPI issue when “System (Enhanced)” scaling is enabled so as to now correctly display certain applications that use display graphics accelerated contents.
- Turning the night light schedule off in Settings now turns night light off immediately.
Known issues for Windows 10 Redstone 3 16170 for Fast ring
- Narrator will not work on this build. If you require Narrator to work, you should move to the Slow ring until we get this bug fixed.
- Some Insiders have reported seeing this error “Some updates were cancelled. We’ll keep trying in case new updates become available” in Windows Update.
- Some apps and games may crash due to a misconfiguration of advertising ID that happened in a prior build. Specifically, this issue affects new user accounts that were created on Build 15031. The misconfiguration can continue to persist after upgrading to later builds. The ACL on the registry key incorrectly denies access to the user and you can delete the following registry key to get out of this state: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo.
- There is a bug where if you need to restart your PC due to a pending update like with the latest Surface firmware updates, the restart reminder dialog doesn’t pop up. You should check Settings > Update & security > Windows Update to see if a restart is required.
- Certain hardware configurations may cause the broadcast live review window in the Game bar to flash Green while you are Broadcasting. This does not affect the quality of your broadcast and is only visible to the Broadcaster. Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers.
- Double-clicking on the Windows Defender icon in the notification area does not open Windows Defender. Right-clicking on the icon and choosing open will open Windows Defender.
- Surface 3 devices fail to update to new builds if a SD memory card is inserted. The updated drivers for the Surface 3 that fix this issue have not yet been published to Windows Update.
- Pressing F12 to open the Developer Tools in Microsoft Edge while F12 is open and focused may not return focus to the tab F12 is opened against, and vice-versa.
- The Action Center may get into a state where dismissing one notification unexpectedly dismisses multiple. If this happens, please try rebooting your device.
For more details, visit the announcement post.