Featured ROM: Update Galaxy S7 edge to Android 8.1 Oreo with LineageOS
Looking to experience Oreo on your Samsung Galaxy S7 edge? We have seen a number of unofficial LineageOS 15 custom ROMs offering Oreo's deliciousness on Samsung and HTC devices. This particular version has now been updated to Android 8.1 but remains in beta so head over to the developer's thread to make sure you know what will be working and what could potentially not work at the moment.
Prerequisites to update Galaxy S7 edge to Android 8.1 Oreo LineageOS 15.1
- Backup any important data from your Samsung Galaxy S7 edge as a complete wipe will be required during the flashing process.
- Enable USB debugging option on your device: Settings > Development Options > USB debugging.
- Samsung Galaxy S7 edge must be rooted, unlocked and installed with a recovery tool like TWRP.
- Your device should be charged to at least 60% of power.
Note: this tutorial is focused on Samsung Galaxy S7 edge; do not try this guide on other Android & Samsung devices. For more details of the ROM, detailed instructions, and support, visit this XDA thread.
How to update Galaxy S7 edge to Android 8.1 Oreo
Required files: download LineageOS Oreo for Galaxy S7 edge and save it on your computer. Once downloaded, follow these steps to install Galaxy S7 edge ROM:
- Connect your Galaxy S7 edge to your computer using a USB cable and copy the zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the USB cord and power off your Galaxy S7 edge.
- Boot it into recovery mode: switch the phone on while pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously.
- Perform wipe data tasks, including cache and dalvik cache.
- Select install and locate the custom firmware to confirm the flashing process.
- Next, install OpenGApps. [Developer has said if "you can't boot phone up after installing OpenGapps please use A-GAPPS"]
- Once done, reboot your Galaxy S7 edge. First boot may take a few minutes, so don't be worried.
Trying out Oreo on Galaxy S7 edge? Don't forget to share your favorite ROMs with us.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter