Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OCJuly 2019
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC Overview
The Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC is Gigabyte's custom PCB, custom cooler design. The extra cooling performance from the Windforce 3X heatsink will deliver higher boost clocks on the card. Overclocking would see a benefit but you also get a slight factory-overclock out of the box that adds to the overall value of this graphics card which sticks close to the reference pricing. The Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC retails at $529.99 US which is a $30 premium over the reference models which start at $499.99 US.
Gigabyte has featured an 8+2 phase power delivery system which makes use of their Ultra Durable design. Features such as 2oz copper PCB, solid state capacitors, metal chokes, Lower Ros(on) MOS-FETs, Tier 1 memory ICs can be found on the card.
In terms of clock speeds, the graphics card features the same base frequency of 1605 MHz but the boost clock is rated at up to 1815 MHz over the reference boost of 1770 MHz (+45 MHz overclock).
Following are some of the features of the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC before we go into detail:
- Powered by GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
- Integrated with 8GB GDDR6 256-bit memory interface
- WINDFORCE 3X Cooling System with alternate spinning fans
- RGB Fusion 2.0 – synchronize with other AORUS devices
- Metal Back Plate
- 4 Years Warranty (Online registration required)
- 1815 MHz (Reference Card: 1770 MHz)
The Gigabyte Gaming OC Series With A Refined Windforce Cooling System
With the differences out of the way, now let's talk about the similarities and the main highlights of the Windforce design. Windforce is a renowned cooling system developed by Gigabyte and has long been in use by their Gaming and Windforce series cards. The Windforce cooler has seen a lot of variations throughout the years and comes in single, dual and triple fan designs. With the GeForce RTX 20 series, Gigabyte is deploying their heavy-weight, triple-fan design.
The WINDFORCE 3X cooling system features 3x 82mm unique blade fans, alternate spinning fan, 6 composite copper heat pipes, heat-pipe direct touch and 3D active fan functionality, together delivering an effective heat dissipation capacity for higher performance at lower temperatures.
The Windforce 3X is the triple fan design which features three 82mm fans. These fans come with a unique blade fan design with the airflow being split by a triangular edge on the fan blade, guiding it smoothly through the 3D stripe curve on the fan surface. This helps enhance air flow by a good bit over traditional fan designs.
In addition to the standard fan spin, Gigabyte Windforce fans have an alternate spinning mode. It leads the middle fan to spin in a clockwise manner while the two fans on the side spin in anti-clockwise mode. This helps reduce airflow turbulence and allow more airflow to be blown away from the card, effectively increasing heat dissipation.
The fans are fully compliant with the 3D Active Fan technology which will allow the fans to stay in idle mode until the temps exceed a certain threshold. This threshold is based on both the GPU load and the temperatures, allowing for smooth and quiet operation under lower application loads.
Talking about the heatsink, the massive block is comprised of composite heat pipes which combine thermal conductivity and phase transition to efficiently manage the heat transfer between two solid interfaces which increases cooling capacity. The base of the heatsink is a direct touch heat pipe surface. The heat pipes made direct contact with the GPU die, allowing for faster dissipation of heat from the core. Gigabyte is one of the few GPU manufacturers who is still using direct contact surfaces while others have switched over the nickel plated, cold plates. It will be interesting to see how this heatsink performs compared to the nickel plated designs we have tested more recently.
In addition to the main GPU heatsink, there's a second additional heatsink for the VRAM and MOSFETs which offers higher dissipation power when it comes to the cooling design. Finally, we have a metal black plate which to our surprise comes with heat pads to ensure smooth heat transfer on the back.
The Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC is a fantastic upgrade to the original RTX 2070, featuring better performance in games at the same price point while offering a huge factory overclock out of the box.
- Great performance for 1440p and 1080p Gaming
- Great upgrade from GTX 970, GTX 1070, GTX 1080
- Factory Overclocked Out of Box (+45 MHz over Founders Edition)
- Windforce heatsink cooling performance is great
- Refreshing new Gigabyte Gaming design
- Active FanTechnology Included on Triple Fan with Alternate Spinning mode
- Great overclocking potential (GPU/VRAM), full tuning options
- Backplate includes heat pads for increased heat dissipation
- Gigabyte RGB Fusion Technology Support WIth LEDs on the side
- Support for real-time ray tracing and DLSS features in next-generation gaming titles
- Good driver support for GeForce products, compatibility with DX11, DX12, Vulkan, OpenGL titles
- Lot's of display connectivity, great for VR and multi-display PCs.
- Not a big performance gain over RTX 2070
- Higher Power Consumption Than RTX 2070
- No memory overclock out of the box
The links above are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, Wccftech.com may earn from qualifying purchases.