Mass Effect Andromeda Leak Provides New Gameplay Info
A Mass Effect Andromeda leak appeared a few hours ago on Reddit. Take it with a grain of salt; while the moderators of the Mass Effect subreddit have verified the source's proof, the source also requested them not to share the proof, supposedly in an effort to diminish the likelihood that the leak source will be identified by Bioware/Electronic Arts.
This particular Mass Effect Andromeda leak focuses on story and gameplay information. Here's a recap:
- There will be two squad mates accompanying the main character; the leaker mentioned a human blonde woman and a krogan
- All squad mates will be equipped with jetpacks, which comes in handy during exploration
- The Omnitool now has more functionality, such as a combat shield
- We can expect far greater detail in character facial features and models
- Destructible covers thanks to Frostbite
- It should be possible to customize the Mako this time around
- The main character will be referred to as 'the pathfinder', which makes sense since apparently the story revolves around finding a new home for humanity and other races.
- There will be a 'Pathfinder quarters' section on the ship
- Mass Effect Andromeda will feature a new ship travel system (Instead of the old galaxy map) where the player manually flies the ship
- The ship itself will be completely different in terms of size and type (presumably bigger)
- Enemies are described as a bipedal cross between Vorcha and Collectors
- The (non-human) enemies drop into combat from Cerberus ships
- One of the antagonists is a human soldier with armor similar to yours but without N7 insignia
Mass Effect Andromeda is the first new entry in the Mass Effect universe after the original trilogy concluded. As the name suggests, it will take place in the Andromeda galaxy (the closest to our Milky Way) and chronologically long after the events of the previous trilogy; the main character (whose name might have been leaked in the latest trailer, by the way) will be a human male or female, and Bioware's Aaryn Flynn explained this choice in a tweet recently.
— Aaryn Flynn (@AarynFlynn) November 4, 2015
The game, called the best and largest Mass Effect ever by Bioware's Alistair McNally, will be powered by Frostbite engine. Given its planned Holiday 2016 release date, it's extremely likely that it will require DirectX 12 compatible hardware - DICE's Johan Andersson wished as much, at least.
Given the stunning E3 2015 announcement trailer (which we have embedded below), rendered with the Frostbite engine as a visual target for the final version of Mass Effect Andromeda, a DX12 min spec seems appropriate to reach that kind of graphics.
As for the information leak, we'll probably discover the truth about it at E3 2016, when Mass Effect Andromeda will undoubtedly be revealed in detail.