Mad Max Dev Shares Details on Avalanche Engine’s Graphical Features, DX12, Lighting and the PC version
In an interview with DSOG, Alvar Johnson, Lead Programmer on Mad Max, shared a few details on Avalanche's plans for the Avalanche Engine, and the game.
Johnson explains the graphical features of the Avalanche Engine:
Since the Avalanche Engine has been used in several games, it has picked up a lot of graphical features along the way. The engine is optimized for open world games so you will find dynamic time of day and dynamic weather, with some big sand storms. Mad Max is set in The Wasteland where a lot of the ground is visible, so we added parallax occlusion mapping to give some depth to the terrain material.
There also isn’t any living vegetation, or bodies of water, so the variation in shaders range between materials like sand, paint, blood and chrome. We’ve got some very talented lighting and effect artists, and we work a lot with light projections and dynamic shadows as well as fire, dust and debris swirling around to create motion and variations.
He continues to explain their future plans for the engine, and the new graphical features that will be implemented in order to make it stand out.
The Avalanche Engine is definitely evolving. We’re developing a new volumetric landscape system that will change what type of layouts we can have in open-world games. A DX12 pipeline is also in the works, and we are researching different types of cluster-based shading. We are always aiming to support freedom and destructibility on a level that I think makes our games unique.
Johnson explains about the lighting system for Mad Max:
We use a classic deferred lighting system that uses hundreds of active light sources. There’s a system for prioritizing the rendering of dynamic shadows, and the number can be scaled based on performance.
For secondary illumination from the sunlight, we use a system that filters and back-projects the ground color, this is also used to soften hard shadow edges, giving the impression of illumination from a sun halo.
He clarifies that the PC version of Mad Max is being developed as one of their main platforms and is receiving the same attention as the other versions.
The Windows version has been continuously developed as one of our main platforms and is being given just as much attention. We also have a strong track record of producing games that are fun to play on the PC.
Players take the role of Mad Max in a post apocalyptic world
Players take the role of Mad Max, in a post apocalyptic world, in an action packed open world third person action game. Mad Max will feature a variety of weapons, of which the shotgun is Max's weapon of choice, but since ammo is scarce, melee options are the smarter way to go.
Max traverse through "The Big Nothing", an unmapped volatile area. Max can eat small animals as rodents and maggots to replenish his health. Mad Max will feature a crafting system which can be used to craft new weapons and tools. Max's garage can be used to change and modify the car's engines, chassis, wheels, body works, including paint treatment, and the "shell" of the automobile.
Build the Ultimate Car
- Without your Interceptor, you are nothing. Embark on a dangerous journey to rebuild your key to salvation
- Brutalize your enemies in high-speed, inter-vehicular warfare using the ultimate combat vehicle
- Build your perfect war-machine with thousands of mods to customize performance, armor and weaponry
Be the Legendary Post-apocalyptic Warrior
- Build your legend by upgrading Max’s stats, gear, and abilities
- Raid enemy encampments to gain access to precious resources and powerful upgrades
- Kill or be killed by combining stealth, gun, and melee combat to take out your relentless enemies
Tame the primal Wasteland
- Traverse and discover a haunting post-apocalyptic world with dynamic weather, treacherous landscapes, and sadistic marauder factions that create threatening situations around every corner
- Freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want. The Wasteland is vast and filled with dangerous side missions, activities and encounters ranging from ambushes to hijacking fuel caravans
Mad Max will release on September 1 2015 in North America, with a European release to follow on September 4. A closer look at the game will likely be available during E3 2015 in June. We will bring you any news regarding Mad Max as soon as it becomes available. Be sure to check out our previous Mad Max and Just Cause 3 coverage for more.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter