How to Transfer WhatsApp Chats and Account on New Phone Number
One of the most frequently asked questions that we get is how to transfer WhatsApp chats and account on a new phone number. This is because if you're not careful, you might end up losing your chat history and all account information associated with it. While setting up a new phone number is an exciting experience, you should proceed with caution when it comes to the restoration of WhatsApp chat history.
Transfer WhatsApp Chats and Account to a New Phone Number - Step by Step Instructions
WhatsApp now allows you to transfer your chat history and all account information on a new phone number. With that said, you can just continue to use your phone, with the same chats but a different phone number.
If you're unfamiliar with the technique, we have devised a step by step instructions which will allow you to transfer your WhatsApp chats and account on a new phone number. Before you proceed, make sure you backup your account. Here's what you have to do.
1. The first thing that you have to do is open WhatsApp.
2. Now, tap on More Options, the three-dot menu button situated on the upper right portion of the interface.
3. Tap on Settings > Account > Change Phone Number.
4. Tap on Next and then enter the Old Phone Number in the old phone number field. (This is the number that is currently associated with your WhatsApp account.)
5. Enter the New Phone Number in the new phone number field. (This is the number you will be transferring your WhatsApp chats and account information on.) and tap on Next and put in the confirmation code sent to your new phone number. That's all to it.
6. This is the most important step. In order to transfer your WhatsApp chats and account on a new phone number, create a backup. You can do this by tapping the three-dot button, heading over to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup > Backup. Make sure Google Drive backup is enabled.
Furthermore, take note that the phone number you are shifting to is capable of receiving messages for a code that will be sent to it for confirmation. That's all that you have to do to transfer WhatsApp chats and account on a new phone number. Take note that in order to transfer your chats and account information, you have to perform a backup through the new phone number. You will also have the option available if you want to notify your contacts regarding the changed phone number. You can toggle it on or off.
In addition, also take note that using the Change Number feature in WhatsApp will also delete the account associated with the old phone number. The process is not at all difficult but you have to be extra cautious while doing it, in case you don't lose your chats.
We will be sharing more guides soon, so do stick around. Have you ever found it difficult to transfer WhatsApp chats and account on a new phone number? Let us know your thoughts on the comments.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter