Flash CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F
Can't wait for Samsung to officially send Android 6.0 Marshmallow updates? Here's our New Year Eve gift to you as you no longer have to wait for Sammy to send some Marshmallow love your way. CyanogenMod team is working tirelessly on their CM13 Nightly ROMs which is now also available for Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F LTE. Follow this guide to update Galaxy S5 to Android 6 Marshmallow based CM13 Nightly ROM.
Disclaimer: During the process, you might lose all of your existing installed apps and personal settings. It is therefore necessary for you to follow the guide carefully and create a backup. This tutorial is only for CM13 Nightly ROM for Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F. Don’t try this guide on any other Android device.
Prerequisites to update Galaxy S5 G900F to Android 6 CM13:
- Download and install USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F.
- Enable USB debugging mode from developer menu.
- You should have a custom recovery tool like TWRP or CWM installed on your device
- Backup any important data before going forward for the tutorial.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F carries more than 70% of charge.
How to update Galaxy S5 G900F to Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM:
- First step is to reboot your SGS5 into Recovery mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home and Power keys until the screen flashes. After a few seconds of that, the phone will enter recovery mode.
- Once in the recovery mode, take a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. This is necessary to enable you to recover your current ROM if you don't like the new ROM. In order to perform a backup, select Backup and Restore > Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Once done, select wipe data/factory reset > Yes to confirm your action. Wait for a few minutes until the phone wipes your data. Once complete, go back to CWM recovery menu and Wipe Cache Partition and then Wipe Dalvik Cache too.
- Next, Select install zip from sdcard > choose a zip from SD card. Locate the CM13 Android 6.0 custom ROM and select it by pressing the Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes. The ROM installation will now begin.
- Once the phone finishes installing the ROM, you need to repeat the above step to install GApps on your SGS5.
- When done, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
- Ta da!
Enjoy CyanogenMod 13 Nightly Android 6.0 Marshmallow features on your Samsung Galaxy S5.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter