New Harry Potter Games for Mobile and Consoles Being Made by Portkey Games
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment recently announced that they’ll be releasing a series of new mobile and console Harry Potter games under the newly created label Portkey Games.
The official website reveals more information in the embedded FAQ section.
What is Portkey Games?
- Portkey Games, from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, is a games label dedicated to creating new mobile and videogame experiences that place the player at the centre of their own adventure, inspired by J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World. It was created for gamers and fans who have been asking for new gaming experiences that allow them to delve into the magic of the Wizarding World in immersive ways.
What does Portkey mean, and why have you chosen it for this label?
- A Portkey is an object from the Harry Potter stories, enchanted to instantly transport anyone touching it to a specific location. Most of the time, a Portkey is an everyday object that would not draw the attention of a Muggle. For Portkey Games, it symbolizes how games under this label would transport fans to their own adventures inspired by the Wizarding World.
How many Portkey Games will be released?
- We have confirmed Harry Potter: Wizards Unite and are planning to develop more.
What type of games will be developed under Portkey Games?
- Portkey Games will enable developers to create a variety of new and immersive gaming experiences that are all inspired by J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World. These experiences will not be direct adaptations of the books and films, have not been written by J.K. Rowling, and should not be considered ‘canon’. These are games that have been created for the fans, by game-makers who themselves are fans of and have been inspired by the Wizarding World.
Are Portkey Games created with J.K. Rowling’s approval?
- Each experience will take place in the wizarding world and will be authentic to the Wizarding World lore J.K. Rowling is supportive of Portkey Games and has entrusted the design and creation of the games to WB Games and the developers involved.
Will the Portkey Games adhere to Wizarding World lore?
- Yes, while Portkey Games are not direct adaptations of the books and films, the games are anchored in Wizarding World lore. Developers can create a variety of new and unique gaming experiences that are all inspired by J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World so you may find some interesting new locations, characters, story elements, etc.
Will favourite characters and locations from the Harry Potter books and films be featured in Portkey Games?
- You can expect to see fan favourites, as well as new characters. You may even see familiar characters at different points in their lives depending on the game and experience.
What characters will players be able to portray in games under Portkey Games?
- While titles released under Portkey Games will feature a variety of new and familiar characters, the experiences place the player at the centre of their own adventure.
David Haddad, President of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, said:
With Portkey Games, we are thrilled to answer the fans’ requests for more games inspired by J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World. We are working with talented creators to build games that focus on player-generated stories, which will live alongside the magical universe created by J.K. Rowling.
We know that the first game will be Niantic’s Harry Potter: Wizards Unite mobile AR game. However, it will be interesting to see what kind of console games are being planned. For instance, Avalanche Software (purchased by Warner Bros. from Disney earlier this year) had job openings that hinted they were making an open world RPG, a genre that could be a good fit for the Wizarding World.
What would you like to see, fellow readers?