How to Downgrade tvOS 11 GM Back to tvOS 10 – Tutorial
Here’s how you can downgrade tvOS 11 GM back to tvOS 10 on Apple TV in a few easy steps.
Downgrade tvOS 11 GM to tvOS 10 if You Believe You Made a Mistake
Whether you are a developer or a public beta tester, the tvOS 11 GM is now available to you over the air as a free download. Developers, on the other hand, have the luxury of installing the firmware from scratch, since they have access to the restore files straight from Apple itself. But, if for some reason, you believe that you have made a mistake updating to tvOS 11 GM, then you have the complete option of rolling back to tvOS 10, as long as Apple is signing the aforementioned firmware from its end. All you need is a USB-C cable, an installation of iTunes on your PC or Mac and a little bit of patience.
Downgrade tvOS 11 GM to tvOS 10 – Tutorial
The downgrade process will erase everything off your Apple TV. Be vary of this fact before you go ahead with the tutorial.
- Download the tvOS 10.2.2 firmware file from this link. Save it to your desktop for easy access later on.
- Using a USB-C cable, connect your Apple TV to your PC or Mac. Make sure the power cable is plugged in too.
- Launch iTunes.
- Once iTunes is in view, select your Apple TV from the upper left hand corner.
- Now, see that ‘Restore Apple TV’ button? Click it, but while holding down the left ‘Option’ key (Mac) or the left ‘Shift’ key (Windows). A new window will come into view.
- Select the tvOS 10.2.2 firmware file from step 1 and let iTunes start the restore process.
It’s crucial at this point that you do not fiddle around with iTunes until the restore process is complete. Once it is, iTunes will ask you to unplug your Apple TV and connect it back to your TV. You are now ready to set up your Apple TV from scratch, and install apps as needed.
Quite frankly, I wouldn’t recommend downgrading back to tvOS 10.x until or unless you have a genuine reason at hand. For example, performance related issues. But with tvOS 11, everything works buttery smooth thanks to Apple forging the software to work seamlessly with the hardware itself.
Do let us know in the comments section below whether or not you downgraded from tvOS 11 GM straight to tvOS 10.x.
You may want to check out: