For those who haven’t been keeping up, Destiny 2 is taking a seasonal approach to its second year of content – Bungie released Black Armory back in December and now they’re preparing to launch Season of the Drifter. As the name implies, the update will focus on The Drifter himself, with Bungie promising new story and lore related to the roguish Gambit host. You can get a good look at the new season in the latest Bungie ViDoc.
In terms of gameplay, Season of the Drifter will focus on two new modes – Gambit Prime, a new version of Gambit with a greater emphasis on combat roles, and The Reckoning, an intense endgame four-player PvE experience. New Season of the Drifter content, including Gambit Prime maps and new Reckoning difficulty tiers will continue to roll out throughout March and April. Check out the roadmap below (click on the image for full resolution).
Here’s the official rundown on Season of the Drifter:
This little game we call Gambit has evolved. This is where you prove you’re a Gambit veteran! Choose a specific combat role and build a new armor set with perks that will change the game. With only one round to choose the winner, teamwork will be king.
Winning a round of Gambit Prime is just the beginning. The Drifter has a whole new extension of the Destiny endgame. Take your rewards and risk them in a new challenge that belongs to the Nine. Confront swarms of enemies to unlock greater rewards that you can take with you into battle.
- Lore: Complete bounties to learn more about the Nine and their place in the universe.
- Pinnacle PvE: Drop into chaos and fight your way through challenging enemies.
- Earn Gear: Unlock armor and perks that will make you the ultimate competitor in Gambit Prime.
New Weapons & Armor
Annual Pass content in Season of the Drifter provides a new path to earn some of the best gear in the game. Build a loadout that compliments the way you like to fight. Master a combat role that will make you irreplaceable on a Gambit Prime team.
A new season of Destiny means changes to the game. Launch into a variety of activities to make your Guardians more unique, more powerful, and more dangerous in new and exciting ways. Add new riches and Triumphs to your Collection.
- Power Surge Bounties: See the Drifter to catch up to the power of their fellow Guardians.
- Iron Banner Returns: Destiny 2 owners can follow Lord Saladin back into battle in the Crucible to claim new rewards.
- Exotic Weapons & Armor: Annual Pass owners can add more of the best weapons to their Collections.
Season of the Drifter is part of the Destiny 2: Forsaken Annual Pass, which costs $35. One more update, the Season of Opulence, will launch this summer.
Destiny 2 is available on PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Season of the Drifter kicks off on March 5.