Root Nexus 5 on Android MRA58K Marshmallow and Install Custom Recovery
Google made the Android 6.0 Marshmallow factory images live a few hours ago. You can download the images from Developers site and follow these steps to flash them on your Nexus devices, including the Nexus 5. Once you have updated your Nexus 5 to Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow, here are the steps to help you root your device and install custom recovery tool.
Prerequisites to root Nexus 5 on Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow:
- Create a backup of all important data on your Nexus 5 device. Creating a Nandroid backup of your device is highly recommended.
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus 5 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Your device needs to be on MRA58K Marshmallow before you follow this guide to root it.
- Ensure that your Nexus 5 carries more than 70% of charge.
How to root Nexus 5 on Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow:
We have already shared with you the steps to flash Android 6.0 MRA58K on Nexus 5. Once updated, you can now proceed to root Nexus 5 on Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow.
- Download Android SDK and install it. Set it up with platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK.
- Download Despair Kernel and SuperSU v2.49 (BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip) for Nexus 5 on your PC.
- Download CWM if you want to install recovery tool on your Nexus 5.
- Finally, download Fastboot from the following links, depending on your OS:
Step 1: Extract the downloaded Fastboot file in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory on your PC. Create directory if not already there.
Step 2: Connect your Nexus 5 to your computer via USB.
Step 3: Copy and paste Despair.M.HH.R1.8.zip and BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip files to the root folder of the SD card of your Nexus 5.
Step 4: Turn your Nexus 5 off and download CWM 126.96.36.199. Save it to your android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory on your computer.
Step 5: Enter the Bootloader mode: turn your Nexus 5 on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power keys.
Step 6: Go to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt) and type the following command:
- fastboot flash recovery recovery -clockwork-touch-188.8.131.52-hammerhead.img – press Enter.
Step 7: Once done, enter recovery mode by choosing Recovery from the Fastboot menu.
Step 8: In the recovery mode, scroll to flash zip from SD card > choose zip from sdcard.
Step 9: Using the volume keys, locate the Despair.M.HH.R1.8.zip and select it. Confirm the installation process.
Step 10: Once done, repeat the steps 8 and 9 for BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip file as well.
Step 11: After installation is completed, go to +++++Go Back and reboot your Nexus 5. First boot may take a few minutes so please be patient.
Your Nexus 5 is now rooted on Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow. Don’t forget to let us know about your experience with the new operating system.