Xbox Game Studios Had a Record Year, Says Microsoft, and They’re Just Getting Started
With the release of the Xbox Series S and X due on November 10th, Microsoft's general manager of Xbox marketing Aaron Greenberg penned a blog post on Xbox Wire to describe 2020 as a 'record year' for Xbox Game Studios. The first-party teams have released several acclaimed games while announcing others - and that's not considering the recent acquisition of Bethesda, which greatly expanded Xbox Game Studios.
- 15 Xbox Game Studios games launched to-date (10 of which are brand new titles) and many more to come, a record for Xbox.
- 1.66 billion hours played by our fans and counting, the most ever year-to-date for Xbox Game Studios titles.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator, our longest running franchise, returned with an overall Metacritic score of 92, a top-rated PC game this year. Microsoft Flight Simulator players have already logged over 26 million flights and more than a billion miles flown, which averages out to 15 times more than the number of real-life flights taken globally each day in 2019, and enough miles to circumnavigate the globe over 40,000 times.
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps was the highest-rated Xbox game we launched this year with an average Metacritic score of 90.
- Grounded, a new release from Obsidian, quickly exceeded more than 1 million players. More than 500 million bugs have been squashed in Grounded, but there are over 10 quintillion insects in the world so we’ve only exterminated 0.000000000005%
- Sea of Thieves has now surpassed 15 million players to date.
- Wasteland 3 not only was a fan-favorite and previously won the award for best RPG at gamescom, it also had an average Metacritic score of 86.
- In July at the Xbox Games Showcase we announced 5 new titles from Xbox Game Studios.
- Minecraft Dungeons has become a co-op favorite, with 6.9 million multiplayer sessions over the past two months, nearly two-thirds of which (4.4 million) were couch co-op.
With the latest acquisitions, Xbox Game Studios will undeniably be a threat to SIE Worldwide Studios when it comes to both quantity and quality of first-party output. The good news is that gamers will reap the rewards of this fierce competition.
Products mentioned in this post
The links above are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, Wccftech.com may earn from qualifying purchases.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter