Steps to Flash LineageOS 14.1 Android 7.1.1 on Nexus 6P
Previously known as CyanogenMod, LineageOS carries the legacy forward with a new name but the same focus on features and tweaks. LineageOS 14.1 Nightly Android 7.1.1 Nougat custom ROM is now available for Nexus 6P. Want better performance and more control over your device? Here is how to update Nexus 6P to Android 7.1.1 based LineageOS custom firmware.
Prerequisites to update Nexus 6P to Android 7.1.1
- Download and install USB drivers for the Nexus 6P on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Your Nexus 6P should be rooted.
- Make sure that TWRP recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Nexus 6P carries more than 70% charge.
Important: This is not a final build, which means your device might get stuck in bootloops or some features may not work at all. You can always reinstall custom firmware (Android 7.1.1 is officially available), or choose another custom ROM.
How to update Nexus 6P to Android 7.1.1
- Connect your Nexus 6P to your PC using the USB cable and copy the downloaded files to the SD card of your device.
- Disconnect your Nexus 6P and power it off.
- Now boot it into the recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up, Down and the Power buttons simultaneously. Use Volume keys to highlight and Power button to select.
- Data wipe operations: go to wipe data/factory reset and confirm the operation. Also, wipe cache partition and finally go for wipe dalvik cache to clean it up too.
- Now, select install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Locate the LineageOS 14.1 Android 7.1.1 Nougat zip file and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM installation completes successfully, repeat the above step for installing the GApps package.
- Once done, go back to main recovery menu and select reboot system now.
First boot takes a little while as it's the first time for the device to load up everything after being flashed with new firmware. Don't worry if it takes longer than a usual reboot. Enjoy the new tweaks and features of LineageOS 14.1 Nightly ROM.