Update Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4 KitKat Google Play Edition – How to
It’s been a week since Google Play edition Samsung Galaxy S4 received its Android 4.4 KitKat update. Since LTE version of standard SGS4 also carries same specs, the ROM has now been ported for the i9505 model.
– Based on latest Official Build 4.4 kitkat
– No ad, no malware, no spyware, bloatware
– build.prop tweaked
– Update script
– Tweaked for Best Performance
– All Google apps are removed. Download from Googleplay
– Dalvik + bionic library optimization
– 3G and 4G are working. Tested with I9505XXUEMKE_Modem
– Auto zipalign
– Sqlite script
– Sign & Zipalign, smali/baksmali version: 2.0, with api_level 19 (deodexed version v.1)
Prerequisites to update Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4 Google Play edition custom ROM:
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S4 i9505 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that some recovery tool like ClockworkMod or TWRP is installed.
- Also ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S4 carries more than 70% of charge.
How to update Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4 Google Play edition custom ROM:
- Connect your device memory to computer using USB cable and copy the GPe firmware file.
- Disconnect from PC and switch your smartphone off.
- Boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding volume up, home and power buttons.
- Nandroid backup: go to Backup and Restore > Backup – important step to be able to restore back if anything does not work out.
- Now from recovery menu perform complete data wipe operation: go to wipe data/factory reset and confirm the operation. Go to wipe cache partition to clear the cache. Finally go to Advance > Wipe dalvik cache.
- Select install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from Sdcard. Locate the GPe Android 4.4 KitKat custom firmware for Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 and confirm its installation.
- Go back and reboot the smart phone by selecting reboot system now from the recovery menu.
Ta da! You can now enjoy the stock Android 4.4 KitKat ROM on your LTE Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505.
– XDA thread.