How to Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel and Pixel XL (Verizon and EE)
Android fans always had one comfort when they went for Google’s Nexus line – an unlocked bootloader. While Google still sells unlocked Google Pixel and Pixel XL phones, devices from some carriers come with locked bootloader. If you availed some amazing Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals from Verizon, EE (UK) or others (considering how the Pixel sales skyrocketed!) to get your glitzy new phone, you can still unlock Google Pixel bootloader using a third-party tool.
Justin Case and beaups have developed a method to force the Pixel or Pixel XL’s bootloader into an unlockable state. You can now download the free tool called dePixel8 to unlock Google Pixel bootloader.
Prerequisites to unlock Google Pixel or Pixel XL bootloader
- Enable Developer options on your Google Pixel: go to Settings > About phone > Build number and tap it 7 times.
- Enable USB Debugging: go to Settings > Developer options and enable USB Debugging and OEM unlocking.
- Make sure your Google Pixel is either plugged into a power source or is charged to 80%.
- Backup data on your Google Pixel or Pixel XL.
- Download ADB and Fasboot and install it on your computer.
Note: dePixel8 doesn’t offer any support or warranty for the process; please proceed at your own risk.
How to unlock Google Pixel bootloader (Verizon and EE)
Required files: download dePixel8 in the same folder where you have installed ADB/Fastboot files.
- Connect your Google Pixel or Pixel XL to the PC using a USB cable.
- Navigate to the folder where you have extracted the ADB and Fastboot files and open cmd (press Shift + Right click on empty space inside the folder and select Open command prompt).
- Enter the following commands:
- adb push dePixel8 /data/local/tmp – press Enter.
- adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/dePixel8 – press Enter.
- adb shell /data/local/tmp/dePixel8 – press Enter.
- Now, wait for your phone to reboot into the bootloader mode. If it doesn’t, you might need to reboot and start over.
- Once your locked Google Pixel phone is in bootloader mode, enter the following command to unlock the bootloader:
- fastboot oem unlock
- If successful, you will get an unlock prompt on your screen. Use Volume keys to highlight Yes and Power button to confirm unlocking the bootloader.
- Your Google Pixel will reboot into bootloader mode after the unlock process. Use the following command to reboot.
- fastboot reboot
Your Google Pixel or Pixel Xl now has an unlocked bootloader. While the process has largely been reported to be successful, if you do receive some error, simply reboot and restart the process.