Star Citizen January ’16: Star Marine Not Cancelled
January 2016 Rumors!
New Unconfirmed Details
Each week, CIG host a live stream on their Twitch channel where they take questions from the community. This month, the key things I caught are:
- The first batch of pre-orders for the Star Citizen Saitek HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick, the ONLY way to fly!) may be signed by Chris Roberts, the founder of CIG and maker of Wing Commander, Freelancer games as well as Hollywood movies.
- Ship insurance in game is likely to run on actual flight time for the ship rather than real world time.
- Store credit unmelting of ships is to be done on a token basis, you get 1 token per quarter to buy back a pledge using store credit. These tokens don’t stack so use it or lose it.
- The Starfarer (refuelling ship) is currently being worked on in the greybox phase.
- The BBC were in the UK offices of CIG (Foundry 42) in Manchester filming. We don’t know what for yet or when it will be aired. Speculation is that it may be for a BBC news or Click (the technology news show) piece.
- Pre-orders for the Saitek Star Citizen HOTAS will likely go live closer to the time they will ship (rumored to be March/April/May time).
- There is likely to be a new community art Webcast talent show. The last time they did this it was called “The Next Great Starship”. The winning team got a big check, their ship put into the game and if memory serves, at least one of the team is now working for CIG since winning the competition. The name for the next one is likely to be “The Next Great Star Marine” and it is expected to launch sometime around March.
Random Other Things
Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner have been spending a fair bit of time in the UK. They happened to be in London the weekend of the Star Citizen UK Facebook group meetup so I managed to arrange for them to drop by! A great time was had by all and we spent an afternoon at the bar talking Star Citizen with Chris and Sandi.
Of course, no Star Citizen update would be complete without an update on funding. The juggernaut that is Star Citizen, already the largest ever crowdfunded project of all time continue to roll on and funding now stands at a staggering $107 million dollars from almost 1.2 million backers!
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter