Shadwen Runs@1080P/60FPS on PS4; VR Compatibility To Be Tested, XB1 Version Is a Chance
Frozenbyte’s new game, Shadwen, will be released next month for PC and PlayStation 4. This time around the Finnish studio known for the Trine series completely changed its focus, moving from side-scrolling platform to the stealth genre with the explicit goal of bringing it back to its roots.
Here’s the interesting premise:
Shadwen, an assassin on a quest to kill the king, has a chance encounter with an orphaned girl, Lily. She follows Shadwen on her dangerous journey, but when the ruthless guards get too close, Shadwen must take action right in front of Lily’s eyes.
Will Shadwen risk the girl’s budding trust by resorting to violence, or try and find another way while keeping her real purpose concealed?
To kill or not to kill – that is the question.
We’ve had the chance to discuss the game with Frozenbyte and bring you exclusive details. As usual, let’s start with the technical info.
- Which resolution/frame rate are you targeting for the PlayStation 4 version? WIll the game’s visuals settings be lowered in comparison to PC max settings?
- Shadwen will run at 1080p/60fps on PS4 and looks great! Of course if you have the hardware to totally max out on the graphical settings and resolution on PC, the game will have more detail.
- What about DirectX 12 support, is it something that might be added to the game at some point?
- Not in the near future at least. We need a full engine update first for that to happen, but we’ll see how it goes.
- What are the chances that Shadwen might be released for Xbox One at some point?
- There’s a hope…a chance!
- As a developer, what’s your take on Microsoft’s Universal Windows Platform? Is that something you might be interested in exploring for the future?
- We haven’t looked at that yet very much to be honest, but it’s a possibility if we get to the Xbox One in the future.
- With the Trine games, you consistently delivered a great stereoscopic 3D experience. Given that VR is an evolution of that technology, are you interested in adding support for PC (Oculus/Vive) or PS VR for Shadwen?
- We are very excited about VR! – We’ve got our hands on the different VR kits so once we get Shadwen out on the initial launch platforms, we might try how it works in VR as well. The rope-swinging action could be a bit too much for those with a weak stomach though, but we’ll only know if we try it. 🙂
Check back tomorrow for our full Shadwen interview, with many gameplay and story details.