Android 6.0 Marshmallow factory images went live a few hours ago. We have already shared with you the steps to flash Android 6 Marshmallow on your Nexus devices. If you want to root your Nexus 6, follow this tutorial to find the steps to help you root your device.
Prerequisites to root Nexus 6 on Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow:
- Create a backup of all important data on your Nexus 6 device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus 6 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- If you are going to root, make sure to have a custom recovery tool like CWM, or TWRP (download link).
- Your device needs to be on MRA58K Marshmallow before you follow this guide to root it.
- Ensure that your Nexus 6 carries more than 70% of charge.
How to root Nexus 6 on Android 6 MRA58K Marshmallow:
We have already shared with you the steps to update Nexus 6 to Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow. Once updated, you can now proceed to root Nexus 6 on Android 6 MRA58K Marshmallow.
Required files: download Android SDK and install it. Set it up with platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Download Despair Kernel and SuperSU v2.49 (BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip) for Nexus 6 on your PC. Download TWRP 22.214.171.124 or CWM and save it to the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory on your computer.
Finally, download Fastboot from the following links, depending on your OS:
Step 1: Extract the downloaded Fastboot file in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory on your PC. Create directory if not already there.
Step 2: Connect your Nexus 6 to your computer via USB.
Step 3: Copy and paste Despair.R20.6.Shamu.zip and BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip files to your 's SD card root folder.
Step 4: Turn your Nexus 6 off.
Step 5: Enter the Bootloader mode: turn your Nexus 6 on while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power keys.
Step 6: Go to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt) and type the following command:
- fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-shamu.img - press Enter.
Step 7: Once done, enter recovery mode by choosing Recovery from the Fastboot menu.
Step 8: In the recovery mode (CWM or TWRP), scroll to flash zip from SD card > choose zip from sdcard.
Step 9: Using the volume keys, locate the Despair.R20.6.Shamu.zip and select it. Confirm the installation process.
Step 10: Once done, repeat the steps 8 and 9 for BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip file as well.
Step 11: After installation is completed, go to +++++Go Back and reboot your Nexus 6. First boot may take a few minutes so please be patient.
Ta da! Your Nexus 6 is now rooted on Android 6 MRA58K Marshmallow. Don't forget to let us know about your experience with the new operating system.