Red Dead Online’s Next Big Update Drops Next Week, New Roles Further Detailed
Red Dead Online’s big (late) summer update finally arrives next week. The update will include a ton of new features and tweaks, but the headline addition are three new specialist roles that will let players tackle the game in different ways -- the Bounty Hunter, the Trader, and the Collector. Each of these roles can be leveled up individually and have their own skill trees and items. You can new details about each of the Red Dead Online roles and their unique skills, below.
Licensed Bounty Hunters can pick up work by visiting bounty boards located near law offices, post offices and train stations across the states. There is no shortage of criminals to be dealt with and the targets range in difficulty, from lone low-level petty thieves to notorious outlaws with armed protection details and a watchful eye. Taking on an armed gang or bringing multiple targets to justice is made easier with the help of a Posse, who will all earn a cut of the final bounty.
Eclipsing Bounty Hunter Rank 12 will open up the opportunity to take down other players with high bounties of $20 or more. Bounty Hunters will be notified through an invite about the opportunity to hunt down the wanted player when they’re nearby in a structured pursuit. The wanted player must escape (or surrender) within the allotted time and if captured, they’ll also have opportunities to escape and flee. If the Bounty Hunter brings the target in alive, they’ll receive an award while the criminal serves time.
Unique Bounty Hunter skills and items include:
- Focus: Targets glow red in Eagle Eye
- Reinforced Lasso: A lasso made with reinforced rope to keep bounties secure
- Reverse Spin: Perform a Reverse Spin with a single pistol or revolver
- Tonics Satchel Upgrade: Store more items in your Tonics Pouch
- Eagle Eye+: Track enemies while sprinting or galloping
- Spin Up: Perform a Spin Up with a single pistol or revolver
- Kit Satchel Upgrade: Store more items in your Kit Pouch
- Tracking Arrow Pamphlet: A pamphlet recipe on how to craft Tracking Arrows
- Reverse Spin Up: Perform a Reverse Spin Up with a single pistol or revolver
- Ducking: Duck for protection while on horseback
- Bolas: A thrown weapon, perfect for tangling the legs of bounties
- Bounty Wagon: A wagon for securely retaining bounty targets
- Perception: Receive a notification of bounties from a greater distance
- Alternating Flips: Perform Alternating Flips with a single pistol or revolver
- Dual Gun Spinning: Perform gun spinning tricks with two pistols or revolvers
As a trader you’ll work to provide your trusted partner Cripps with a variety of Materials through hunting animals – pristine pelts and carcasses will provide better yields. You’ll also take on Resupply Missions to acquire additional necessities through less than savory tactics. Once supplied, Cripps will begin turning the materials into sellable goods, which can then be sent out on low-risk local deliveries for payment or across greater distances for a premium.
Improve your hunting yields with a Hunting Wagon for larger hauls or upgrade your Delivery Wagons for larger sales. As business flourishes and your presence becomes known in the market, your competition may grow jealous of your success, so keep an eye out for raids on your camp. As your trade grows, you might consider purchasing a camp dog from Wilderness Outfitters. Not only are dogs great camp companions for all players, but a Trader of sufficient rank can teach their dog to warn of incoming attacks.
Unique Trader skills and items include:
- Stew Pot: A camp upgrade that unlocks stew recipes to boost cores
- Ingredients Satchel Upgrade: Store more items in your Ingredients Pouch
- Awareness: Identify rival Trader wagons at an increased range
- Canine Warning: Train your dog to warn of thieves raiding your camp
- Medium and Large Delivery Wagons: Upgraded wagons that can hold more goods for transport
- Weapons Locker: Store weapons for later use
- Lance Knife: A bespoke knife style available to Traders only
- Efficiency: Learn to increase the amount of usable materials from perfect carcasses
- Materials Satchel Upgrade: Store more items in your Materials Pouch
- Hunting Wagon: A sturdy wagon fit for carrying multiple carcasses, hides and pelts
- Protection: Reduce the chance of raids at your camp
With Madam Nazar’s help, you will be able to explore the world finding valuable treasures, whether they’re discarded Tarot cards in abandoned camps, buried treasures unearthed with your trusty shovel, hidden family heirlooms and more.
Collect individual pieces and sell them off directly to Madam Nazar or collect entire sets for even more valuable sales. As you progress, you’ll unlock enhanced searching skills; more useful tools like a metal detector; benefits like increased carrying capacities; the ability for your horse to directly pluck and pass herbs to you while mounted, and more.
Unique Collector skills and items include:
- Divination: Sense when near collectibles
- Pennington Field Shovel: An essential tool for uncovering buried collectibles
- Potential: Detect disturbed earth when using Eagle Eye
- Intuition: Narrow your search area
- Horse Saddlebag Upgrade: Carry more in your Horse’s saddlebag
- Refined Binoculars: Specialized binoculars that make dig sites glow from a great distance
- Águila Machete: A classic machete restyled for the use of adventurous and belligerent Collectors
- Metal Detector: An important tool which can identify collectibles buried underground
- Equine Assistance: Collect herbs from horseback
- Horse Lantern: Light the path ahead with a lantern attached to your horse’s breastplate
- Valuables Satchel Upgrade: Store more items in your Valuables Pouch
Unlocking these roles will require 15 Gold Bars apiece, although there are ways to get around paying. Those who link their Twitch and Rockstar Club Social Club accounts before September 8 will unlock the Bounty Hunter role for free, collecting all 54 of RDO’s hidden playing cards will unlock the Collector role, and anybody playing on PS4 will automatically get the Trader role. Sorry about that last one Xbox One players!
As mentioned, the Red Dead Online summer update includes a lot of stuff on top of the new roles. Combat and controls are getting a substantial update to make RDO feel like more of a traditional action game, new role-specific free-roam events are being added, weapons are being rebalanced to make the game less headshot-focused, and more.
Red Dead Online is available for free with Red Dead Redemption 2, which is available now on Xbox One and PS4. The RDO summer update arrives on September 10.