Official Android 5.1.1 for Nexus 9 Released – Here’s How to Update and Root Nexus 9
Google has just released the official LMY47X Android 5.1.1 for Nexus 9 which is quite a late update when compared to several other Nexus devices. For now the OTA update will only reach your device if you own the Wi-Fi version of the Nexus 9. LTE Nexus 9 is expected to soon get the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update.
The Nexus 9 is reportedly getting this update worldwide, however, if you don't plan to wait for over-the-air update, here is the manual way of doing so. Follow this guide to flash Android 5.1.1 for Nexus 9 and root the device on LMY47X.
- We will be updating this guide with links for LTE Nexus 9 when Google releases the update.
Prereqs to flash and root Android 5.1.1 for Nexus 9:
- Download Android SDK and install USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Your Nexus's bootloader should be unlocked.
- Ensure that your Nexus 9 carries more than 70% of charge.
Note: Nexus 9 can be on any official or custom ROM for this installation update; just ensure that you are using this guide for HTC Nexus 9 and no other device.
How to flash official LMY47X Android 5.1.1 for Nexus 9:
Here are the steps to flash official Android 5.1.1 on Nexus 9!
- Connect your Nexus 9 with your computer using a USB cable.
- Power off and reboot your Nexus 9 in Bootloader / Fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons. Use the Volume key to highlight Recovery Mode and use Power key to select it.
- Extract the downloaded factory image on your computer.
- Go to volantis-LMY47X folder, copy and paste all the files in to Fastboot directory.
- In the Fastboot directory, from the factory image files perform the following command depending on your OS:
- On Windows: Run flash-all.bat
- On Mac: Run flash-all.sh using Terminal
- On Linux: Run flash-all.sh
- This will start the update process. When done successfully, your Nexus 9 will reboot; first boot takes a good five minutes so be patient.
Ta da! Have fun with the Android 5.1.1 for Nexus 9 official update.
Root Nexus 9 LMY47X Android 5.1.1:
Now, if you want to root Nexus 9 on Android 5.1.1 LMY47X, here are the simple steps.
- Keep your Nexus connected to the computer.
- Extract the earlier downloaded CF Auto zip folder on your computer.
- Enable Developer Options on Nexus 9: in the About Device > tap Build Number multiple times until you see the new tab Developer Options. In here, check Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging.
- Enter the Bootloader mode from your computer by running this command (open command prompt with Shift + Right Click > Open the command window here),
- adb reboot bootloader
- Execute the root file,
- Windows: run root-windows-bat
- OS X: chmod +x root-mac.sh
- Linux: chmod +x root-linux.sh
- Once the command window finishes executing, your Nexus 9 will reboot.
Have fun with the rooted Nexus 9 on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop LMY47X.