New Nokia 6 and 7 Plus to Run Android One While the Nokia 1 Goes the Android Go Path
The first iteration of the Nokia 6 was easily one of the best devices in the mid-range market, with its beautiful all-body aluminum construction. The only shortcoming of the device was its underwhelming Snapdragon 435 SoC. A newer, Android One variant of the Nokia 6 was announced, but it was exclusive to the Chinese market. The new Nokia 6 is 5.2mm shorter due to the capacitive buttons being dropped for on-screen ones. It will be available in gold, black copper, and white in early April for €279. Here's what the specs look like:
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 630
- Display: 5.5-inch IPS LCD panel (720x1280 resolution), protected by 2.5D Gorilla Glass.
- Camera: 16MP primary camera with Zeiss optics and dual-tone flash. 8MP secondary camera with a wide angle sensor
- Memory: 3/4GB of RAM with 32/64GB of internal storage, expandable via micro SD card
- Battery: 3,000mAh Li-ion unit with fast charging capabilities
- Connectivity: USB Type C connector
Nokia 7 Plus
The Nokia 7 Plus is an upgrade of the Nokia 7. Some of the upgrades include an 18:9 aspect ratio display, dual cameras, and better hardware. Costing €399, it will also be available in early April. Let's take a look at what's under the hood of the Nokia 7:
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 660
- Display: 5-5-inch IPS LCD panel with 2160 x 1080 resolution, 18:9 aspect ratio
- Camera: Dual 12+13-megapixel sensors with a telephoto lens and 2x optical zoom. 16-megapixel secondary shooter
- Memory: 64GB of internal storage and 4GB of RAM, can be expanded via micro SD card
- Battery: 3,800mAh Li-ion unit with fast charging capabilities
We've been talking a lot about Android Go, an Android fork for low-end phones with limited processing power. Today, we'll get to see HMD Global's first ever Android Go offering, the Nokia 1. The Nokia 1 is a barebones, essentials only smartphone designed as a low cost solution for people in emerging markets. The phone will be available in early April for $85. Let's take a look at what it packs.
- Processor: Quad-core MediaTek SoC clocked at 1.1GHz
- Display: 4.5-inch TFT panel with a resolution of 854 x 480
- Camera: 5MP primary camera, and a 2MP secondary camera.
- Memory: 8GB of internal storage with 1GB of RAM, can be expanded via micro SD card
The three new devices will go a long way in securing HMD Global (and by association, Nokia) a firm foothold in the Android market.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter