Intel Unleashes Flagship 28 Core, Xeon W-3175X HEDT CPU, Delidded and Overclocked To 4.3 GHz – First HEDT Platform To Feature 192 GB DDR4 Memory Support
Intel has finally launched their flagship Xeon W-3175X high-end desktop processor which is now available for sale. The processor is the highest core count chip ever released by Intel for the HEDT platform and also the most expensive one with a retail price of $2999 US which is $1000 US more than their X299 flagship, the Core i9-9980XE.
Intel Xeon W-3175X, 28 Core Flagship HEDT CPU Now Available For $2999 US
Intel’s Xeon W-3175X processor was first shown at Computex 2018 and has seen various delays since its announcement. Previously suggested to launch around the end of Q4 2018, the chip is now launching at the end of January 2019. Also, during this time, Intel didn’t give any info on the pricing of this part, only to be unveiled at the very last moment for their ultra-premium product.
The Intel Xeon W-3175X processor is the first 28 core high-end desktop processor that Intel has launched. Its direct competitor is the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX which features 32 cores and retails for $1000 US less. Intel suggests that their chip is well optimized for many applications as that is the single main factor that determines the final performance of a highly threaded CPU. There are many independent reviews out now that acknowledge that and you can check them out in the links below:
- Intel Xeon W-3175X 28 Core CPU Review @ PCWorld
- Intel Xeon W-3175X 28 Core CPU Review @ Anandtech
- Intel Xeon W-3175X 28 Core CPU Review @ Tomshardware
It’s not the number of cores; it’s how you use them. Our unlocked, 28-core Xeon W-3175X processor delivers unprecedented levels of single threaded, multi-threaded capability to the pro-creator audience. #IamIntelhttps://t.co/gY0IzxftBz
— Gregory M Bryant (@gregorymbryant) January 30, 2019
Coming to the specifications, the Xeon W-3175X rocks 28 cores and 56 threads. The base clock is set at 3.1 GHz while the maximum single core turbo frequency is rated at 4.3 GHz. The chip has a TDP of 255W and other specs include a 38.5 MB cache, 68 PCIe lanes (44 directly from the CPU), a fully unlocked design for overclocking, six-channel DDR4 memory support including ECC memory.
Why It’s Different: With the most cores and threads, CPU PCIe lanes, and memory capacity of any Intel desktop processor, the Intel Xeon W-3175X processor has the features that matter for massive mega-tasking projects such as film editing and 3D rendering. Other key features and capabilities:
- Intel Mesh Architecture, which delivers low latency and high data bandwidth between CPU cores, cache, memory, and I/O while increasing the number of cores per processor
– a critical need for the demanding, highly-threaded workloads of creators and experts.
- Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, a precision toolset that helps experienced overclockers optimize their experience with unlocked processors.
- Intel Extreme Memory Profile, which simplifies the overclocking experience by removing the guesswork of memory overclocking.
- Intel Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (Intel AVX-512) ratio offset and memory controller trim voltage control that allows for optimization of overclocking frequencies regardless of SSE or AVX workloads, and allow maximization of memory overclocking.
- Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 that delivers frequencies up to 4.3 GHz.
- Up to 68 platform PCIe lanes, 38.5 MB Intel Smart Cache, 6-channel DDR4 memory support with up to 512 GB at 2666 MHz, and ECC and standard RAS support power peripherals and high-speed tools.
- Intel C621 chipset-based systems designed to support the Intel Xeon W-3175X processor allow professional content creators to achieve a new level of performance.
- Asetek 690LX-PN all-in-one liquid cooler, a custom created solution sold separately by Asetek, helps ensure the processor runs smoothly at both stock settings and while overclocking.
- With the Intel Xeon W-3175 processor, build the “Infiltrator Demo” in Unreal Engine up to 1.52x faster compared with the Intel Core i9-9980XE processor.
Intel HEDT Processor Families:
|Intel HEDT Family||Gulftown||Sandy Bridge-E||Ivy Bridge-E||Haswell-E||Broadwell-E||Skylake-X||Skylake-X||Skylake-X||Cascade Lake-X|
|Flagship SKU||Core i7-980X||Core i7-3960X||Core i7-4960X||Core i7-5960X||Core i7-6950X||Core i9-7980XE||Core i9-9980XE||Xeon W-3175X||TBD|
|Clock Speeds||3.33/3,60 GHz||3.30/3.90 GHz||3.60/4.00 GHz||3.00/3.50 GHz||3.00/3.50 GHz||2.60/4.20 GHz||3.00/4.50 GHz||3.10/4.30 GHz||TBD|
|Max Cache||12 MB L3||15 MB L3||15 MB L3||20 MB L3||25 MB L3||24.75 MB L3||24.75 MB L3||38.5 MB L3||24.75 MB L3|
|Max PCI-Express Lanes (CPU)||32 Gen2||40 Gen2||40 Gen3||40 Gen3||40 Gen3||44 Gen3||44 Gen3||44 Gen3||44 Gen3|
|Chipset Compatiblity||X58 Chipset||X79 Chipset||X79 Chipset||X99 Chipset||X99 Chipset||X299||X299||C612E||X299|
|Socket Compatiblity||LGA 1366||LGA 2011||LGA 2011||LGA 2011-3||LGA 2011-3||LGA 2066||LGA 2066||LGA 3647||LGA 2066|
|Launch||Q1 2010||Q4 2011||Q3 2013||Q3 2014||Q2 2016||Q3 2017||Q4 2018||Q4 2018||2H 2019|
|Launch Price||$999 US||$999 US||$999 US||$1059 US||$1700 US||$1999 US||$1979 US||~$4000 US||TBD|
Der8auer has also already delidded the chip, revealing that Intel is using regular TIM instead of solder design. We can see a dual PCB design as was used on the X299 processors. The chip was overclocked to 4.30 GHz across all 28 cores with a voltage supply of 1.15V as can be seen in the video below.
You can see some interesting performance numbers from the chip as well as temperatures before and after using liquid metal thermal paste below.
Massive New Motherboards and Massive Memory Support From Manufacturers For Intel’s New Ultra-Premium Chips
Of course, a new Intel would always be accompanied by their partners introducing new products and platforms. The Xeon W-3175X processor required new motherboards and beefier memory as it features a six-channel DRAM controller and requires a lot of power to boot (255W TDP). As such, ASUS and Gigabyte have already showcased their new motherboards, the ROG Dominus Extreme and the Gigabyte SKL-SP 1S which are based around the C621 chipset.
In addition to that, G.Skill has also introduced their new Hexa-Channel Massive Capacity DDR4 memory kits with up to 4000 MHz speeds (CL17 timings) and 192 GB capacities. These kits will come with 12 DIMMs, each with 16 GB memory. The memory kits will be available in Trident Z Royal RGB series, in either gold or silver colors, and will start from 3200 MHz, 3600 MHz, and the aforementioned 4000 MHz kits. The memory kits are available now and utilize the best Samsung B-dies for overclocking and the best stability.
The Road from Quad- to Hexa-Channel: Boosting Memory Bandwidth
As computing technology improves, the amount of processed data also increases, leading to a demand for more memory channels and higher bandwidth. For the first time, this new platform introduces hexa-channel memory support to the larger consumer market, which was previously only found in server-class systems.
While operating under 6-channels, the extreme performance DDR4-4000 CL17 96GB (8GBx12) memory kit reaches a blazing fast read bandwidth speed of 122GB/s – a substantial increase over currently available quad-channel platforms. See below for a screenshot of the bandwidth result from the AIDA64 memory benchmark:
192GB Super Massive Memory Kit Capacity
Using high-capacity 16GB modules, this platform allows a maximum of 192GB memory capacity with a kit of 16GBx12. Being the first of its kind, G.SKILL propelled the full 192GB to an extreme DDR4-4000 speed with CL17-18-18-38 timings. The screenshot below shows the 12-module Trident Z Royal 192GB memory kit being stress tested and validated on the Asus ROG Dominus Extreme with the Xeon W-3175X processor:
The platform and the hexa-channel memory won’t come cheap though so expect to be paying a really high premium for this platform. The motherboards aren’t listed yet but Intel has assured that OEMs will be offering pre-built PCs featuring their Xeon W-3175X CPU today. The prices for the Intel C621 chipset based motherboards and their availability is also not confirmed yet but we will make sure to keep you updated once more information is recieved.