How to Enable Two-Factor Authentication for Twitter Without a Phone Number
Twitter has made a major security shift by introducing two-factor authentication. Previously, users had to use their phone numbers to make use of this enhanced authentication method. Now, the company allows two-factor authentication without your phone number, whereby removing the dependency. If you're unfamiliar with the method, scroll down and follow the listed instructions to enable two-factor authentication for Twitter without your phone number.
Enable Two-Factor Authentication for Twitter Without Your Phone Number - Easy Steps
You have to ask why authentication without a phone number is better. The reason is that the two-factor authentication via phone number is very vulnerable to SIM-swapping attacks. If the bad actors get a hold of your password, SIM-swap attacks aren't all that difficult. Now, it's easy to protect your account without a phone number. If you're unfamiliar, here's how to enable two-factor authentication for Twitter.
Enable Two-factor Authentication Without Phone Number
1. The first thing that you have to do is open Twitter in your Web browser and log in.
2. On the upper left side, tap on your Account info.
3. Now, tap on Settings and Privacy.
4. Tap on Account and then tap on Security.
5. Tap on Two-factor Authentication. Now, select the type of two-factor authentication for Twitter. There are three options available in total: Text Message, Authentication App, and Security Key. Deactivate or uncheck the Text Message option if you wish to remove your phone from 2FA. Check the box that you want to choose for the authentication. You can use a Security Key or through the Authentication app, you can also choose both.
If you wish to remove your phone number from Twitter's preferences after you have enabled two-factor authentication for Twitter via the Security key or an Authentication app.
How to Delete Phone Number From Twitter's Preferences
1. Tap on Settings and Privacy.
2. Tap on Account.
3. Now, tap on Phone under Login and Security.
4. Tap on Delete Phone number.
5. Confirm and press Delete.
That's all that you have to do in order to enable two-factor authentication on Twitter without your phone number. In addition, when you're done with it, you can remove your phone number from the platform's preferences.
Twitter's new implementation basically removes the dependency on a phone number. This makes it harder for bad actors to take over your Twitter handle through nefarious means like swapping SIM cards. There will be more to the story, so be sure to stick around. The company also introduced a dedicated Twitter app for macOS Catalina, so if you haven't installed it yet, be sure to do so.
This is all for now, folks. Are you using two-factor authentication on Twitter? Let us know in the comments.