How to Disable Automatic Updates on Windows 10 Permanently
Windows 10 updates are important as they bring you latest features along with timely bug fixes and improvements from Microsoft. But your patience can run thin over time as these updates consume a large chunk of your computer’s processing power, bring issues and problems, and of course your valuable time in the process.
So, if you’re tired of waiting for your computer to shut down or boot up because of the automatic updates then here’s how you can turn off auto-updates on your Windows 10 PC permanently:
- Open the Start menu and type run in the search bar. Click on the Run app to proceed.
- Type services.msc in the Open: menu and click on OK.
- In the Services menu, scroll down in an alphabetical order to reach the Windows section.
- Locate and select the Windows Update service listed on the menu.
- The Windows Update service would be running by default, simply Right-click on it and select Stop.
- The system will now attempt to stop the service.
- Once the service has stopped, Right-click on the Windows Update service again and select Properties.
- In the Windows Update Properties, change the Startup type drop-down menu to Disabled. Click on OK to save the changes.
- Now you can view the status of the Windows Update services as it would be disabled.
Re-enabling Windows Updates:
If you ever wish to install any updates or catch up with the latest improvements then you would have to enable this feature again by simply following the same instructions.
- Change the drop-down menu status from Step 8 to Automatic. Click on OK and it will revert the changes that you made earlier and enable the updates.
- Once the service is enabled, Right-click on the Windows Update service and select Start to resume the service again.
- The service will display that it is running again which means that you’re all good to go and you have successfully reverted the changes that you made previously.
These steps can turn out to be a game-changer and guide you through saving up an ample amount of time when shutting down your PC as you can turn off the Windows 10 updates on your PC permanently and re-enable them as per your discretion.
Note: we do not recommend doing this unless you are a savvy user who knows what they are doing. Disabling automatic Windows 10 updates means you won't be receiving bug fixes and improvements that may be crucial for running your operating system smoothly. Disable automatic Windows 10 update only IF you are confident you can handle these updates manually. One option of handling buggy Windows 10 updates is also to uninstall them instead of completely avoiding them if they aren't working well.