Fix iMessage / FaceTime Not Activating Issue On iOS 9 – Detailed Tutorial
iMessage or FaceTime not activating on iOS 9 / 9.1? Then here's a complete walkthrough on how to fix things in no time.
Fix iMessage / FaceTime Not Activating Issue On iOS 9
In a lot of instances, iMessage or FaceTime would go into limbo before tossing you an error message saying that things could not be activated for the greater good. There are four possible error messages you can get while trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime, and they are as follows:
- Waiting for activation
- Activation unsuccessful
- An error occurred during activation
- Could not sign in, please check your network connection
If you're facing any one of the above error messages, then perform the fixes listed below in the exact order to get things working again.
Step 1 - Make Sure WiFi And Cellular Services Are Working Properly
iMessage and FaceTime requires you to be on a working cellular network (with data enabled) or a WiFi network in order to activate.
1. Open up the Settings app.
2. Make sure you're connected to WiFi that actually works. Tap the 'Wi-Fi' section to connect to a list of available networks. If you're using cellular data, then tap on the 'Cellular' section and turn on the 'Cellular Data' toggle switch.
Step 2 - Make Sure Your Date & Time Is Set Correctly
1. Launch the Settings app from your home screen.
2. Now tap on 'General' then go to the 'Date & Time' section.
3. Make sure that you turn the 'Set Automatically' toggle switch to the ON position.
Step 3 - Turn iMessage / FaceTime Off Then Back On
1. Launch the Settings app.
2. Tap on Messages and move the 'iMessage' switch to the OFF position, do the same for FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime - toggle FaceTime switch OFF).
3. Restart your iOS device.
4. Now turn the iMessage and FaceTime toggle switch ON.
Step 4 - Wait At Least 24 Hours For Activation
iMessage and FaceTime can take up to 24 hours to activate, so be patient till the activation is successful.
Step 5 - Still Not Activated?
If iMessage or FaceTime fails to activate after the 24-hour time period, then you might want to do the following:
- Make sure you're running the latest version of iOS, which in this instance, is iOS 9.1. You can follow our guide posted here on how to do so: How To Download / Install iOS 9, 9.1 On iPhone, iPad, iPod touch The Right Way.
- Call your carrier and explain the issue to them, and also make sure that you can send and receive SMS, which is crucial for the activation process.
- Try contacting Apple Support to help you out with the issue.