How to Enable Multi-Window in Marshmallow – Android Tips & Tricks
Google has packed tons of new features and capabilities in its latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow mobile operating system. While you may be stuck with only the top few highlights, including its battery modes, there is much more to explore in the latest OS. We have already shared with you how to enable System UI Tuner which lets you customize the status bar and Quick Settings panel. Today, we are focusing on yet another hidden Android 6 feature: multi-window.
Multi-window in Android 6 Marshmallow lets you view multiple apps together in split view. However, this feature is reportedly only available for Android tablets, not the smartphones. If you have already installed the latest Marshmallow on your Nexus 5 or Nexus 6 and have also rooted your device, there is no reason why you can't enjoy this super useful feature on your smartphone too.
How to enable multi-window in Android 6 Marshmallow:
There is a workaround to get split view mode on your smartphones, if you have rooted your device. To activate multi-windows in your devices, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Install Marshmallow on your Android smartphone.
- Root your device - Nexus 5, Nexus 6
- From Google Play Store, install a file manager app with root access.
- Open the newly installed file manager app and grant it root permission.
- Go to /system/ directory and open build.prop file.
- Inside the file, change the value of build type from user to userdebug.
- Save the build.prop file.
- Reboot your device.
- Once back, enable Developer Options: go to Settings > About Phone > tap on Build Number seven times.
- Go back to Settings > Developer Options > go to the bottom of the Drawing category and enable Multi-window from the options.
- Ta da!
Yep, it was that easy to get multi-window on Android 6 on your rooted Android smartphones. For the tablets, all you need to do is enable developer options, and then toggle multi-window on. Enjoy using multiple apps in the split view mode.
Found some feature that you are totally loving in Android 6.0 Marshmallow? Don't forget to share your own favorites with us too.
To know more about the latest operating system, you can check our detailed review and tutorials:
- How to Configure Quick Settings in Android 6 Marshmallow
- HTC Executive reveals Android 6 Marshmallow rollout details
- Download Android 6.0 Marshmallow Factory Images
- Google Android 6.0 Marshmallow Review - It's All About Now on Tap
Note: this is a hidden feature and not recommended to try if you aren't comfortable with the rooting process. For more, refer to this XDA thread.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter