Crusader Kings III Announced at PDXCON, Due in 2020 on Steam and Xbox Game Pass for PC
Crusader Kings II, the definitive grand strategy game, is getting a sequel. Whether this offspring will grow to usurp the throne of its father or rule alongside it is yet to be seen, but we do know a few things it’s going to do differently. Announced at PDXCON in Berlin today, Crusader Kings III promises to add more depth to a series infamous for its depth.
According to the developers at Paradox Development Studios, it will be the ultimate 'grand strategy RPG experience' and a firm step in the direction of a new generation for the genre, thanks to an even more detailed map and new 3D character models.
Henrik Fåhraeus, the Game Director, said in a statement:
Crusader Kings III is a grand medieval simulator where you are free to live out any plausible ruler fantasy that we could think of - but not without challenge. Seeing its predecessor explode in popularity was very satisfying, especially considering that user friendliness was never our primary goal. Now we have a chance to address an even larger audience.
The confirmed feature list includes the following:
- Shape Your Dynasty: Guide unique characters through history, choosing lifestyles best suited to their personalities and your ambitions.
- Rewrite Medieval History: Dynasties will change and adapt to changes in family and politics, and religious beliefs are more firmly under your control.
- Build a Mighty Kingdom: Use your vassals’ fear of you as a weapon or call on familial obligations to persuade reluctant relatives to submit.
- Experience High Drama: Stranger than fiction stories leap off the screen, as characters plot against you and events push you to extremes.
- Learn as You Go: Guided advice to help newcomers navigate a rich medieval world. In-game suggestions tip you off to paths you might not have considered.
- The Usual Crusader Kings Fun: Keep a stubborn council in line, scheme against your overbearing uncle or marry the rich duchy...oops, I mean pious duke or duchess of your dreams.
Crusader Kings III will launch next year on PC via Steam. It'll also be included in the Xbox Game Pass for PC subscription. In the meantime, you can play the base game of Crusader Kings II for free, on Steam and all the other platforms where it is available.