Following Sony's surprise rollout of Android February security patch last week, Google has now started to release the patch for its Pixel and Nexus devices. The security bulletin along with factory images and OTA files are now live.
Android February security patch for Nexus, Pixel now live
As reported last week, Sony beat Google by releasing February security patch ahead of the Mountain View search giant. In today's security bulletin, Google said that the "partners were notified of the issues described in the bulletin on January 03, 2017 or earlier," making it possible for Sony to release the patch.
Google has detailed the vulnerabilities that Android February security patch is fixing up. There are a total of 36 issues resolved in the security patches divided into two subsets dated 2017-02-01 and 2017-02-05. Google said two security patch level strings offer Android OEMs with the "flexibility to more quickly fix a subset of vulnerabilities that are similar across all Android devices."
The vulnerabilities range from moderate to critical. The company shared that the "most severe of these issues is a Critical security vulnerability that could enable remote code execution on an affected device through multiple methods such as email, web browsing, and MMS when processing media files."
There were no reports of active customer exploitation or abuse of these newly reported issues that the Android February security patch is fixing, the company confirms. For more details, visit today's security bulletin.
Direct download Android February security patch
- Google Pixel XL: Android 7.1.1 NOF26V, NOF26W (Rogers) - Factory Image (2) and OTA (2)
- Google Pixel: Android 7.1.1 NOF26V, NOF26W (Rogers) - Factory Image (2) and OTA (2)
- Nexus 6P: Android 7.1.1 N4F26O, NUF26K (Verizon) - Factory Image (2) and OTA (2)
- Nexus 5X: Android 7.1.1 N4F26O - Factory Image and OTA
- Pixel C: Android 7.1.1 N4F26O - Factory Image and OTA
- Nexus 6: Android 7.1.1 N6F26R, NBD91Y (7.0.0) - Factory Image (2) and OTA (2)
- Nexus 9 (WiFi): Android 7.1.1 N4F26Q - Factory Image and OTA
- Nexus 9 (LTE): Android 7.1.1 N4F26Q - Factory Image and OTA