Redstone 5 Finally Gets a New Build After a Long Wait – Brings an Equally Long List of Feature Improvements
We reported last week that the Fast Ring and Skip Ahead Insiders weren't getting a new Windows 10 Redstone 5 Preview build because of a nasty bug. If shipped out, it could have stopped the people from logging in after installing the new update. It appears Microsoft has finally fixed the bugs as the company has just released a fresh new Preview Build to Insiders in the Fast Ring and Skip Ahead.
Windows 10 Redstone 5 Insider Preview Build 17704 is out
While we normally share the entire changelog, today's update brings quite a long list of feature improvements. Some of the highlights include:
- New Microsoft Edge Beta logo and a new PDF logo
- New Edge design improvements and customized toolbar items (you can customize which icons appear in the Microsoft Edge toolbar)
- Skype for Windows 10 gets a big update!
- New Diagnostic Data Viewer features to improve your Privacy Experience
- Ability to See Your Videos Better Outside in the Light: go to Settings > Apps > Video playback, and turn on “Adjust video based on lighting”
- Typing Insights
- Font installation for non-admin users: this one enables you to use your own fonts even if you are on a shared PC without having admin privileges. "Now when you right-click on a font file in File Explorer, you’ll see two options," Microsoft explains. "'Install for all users' provides the past, system-wide install capability and requires an admin. But now there is another option: 'Install' allows any user, including non-admin users, to install a font for their own use."
- Contextual Commanding Improvements to Text Controls
- Windows Security Improvements
- Task Manager Improvements:
- Power usage
- Power usage trend
- Ease of Access and Narrator improvements
- Narrator Quickstart
- Narrator New Standard Keyboard improvements
- Updated Ease of Access > Display Settings UI
- Windows Container Improvements
- New Windows Image
- Group managed service account reliability
- Windows Mixed Reality Improvements
- Introducing Quick Actions
- New post-update experience
- Microsoft Font Maker app: available via the Microsoft Store
Head over to the official announcement page for details on all the above features and improvements. Don't forget to take a look at general fixes and known issues because there are quite a few things to note in those two lists, as well.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter