Windows 10 Redstone 5 17672 Is Out Bringing Windows Security Improvements & Bug Fixes
Windows 10 April 2018 Update – aka version 1803 – is still causing issues for some users and machines. But the exciting world of the Windows Insider community has already moved on to more fun builds. Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17672 from the Redstone 5 branch has been released to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring and those who had signed up for Skip Ahead.
Build 17672 doesn’t actually bring any massive new features and focuses on bug fixing and Windows security improvements. Here is the complete changelog.
Windows Security Improvements
The Windows Security Center (WSC) service now requires antivirus products to run as a protected process to register. Products that have not yet implemented this will not appear in the Windows Security UI, and Windows Defender Antivirus will remain enabled side-by-side with these products.
For testing purposes, you can disable this new behavior in Windows Insider builds by creating the following registry key and rebooting the device. This key will be removed as we get closer to release.
DisableAvCheck (DWORD) = 1
- After completing the Windows Mixed Reality First Run experience, OOBE is black. Motion Controllers are also not recognized in exclusive apps. If you need your Mixed Reality experience to be working it is advised you not take this build until these issues are fixed.
- We’re aware of an issue that causes Narrator to read extra text when invoking Alt + Tab, and we’re working on a fix.
- If you complete the setup for a Windows Mixed Reality headset on this build, the headset will remain black until it is unplugged and reconnected to the PC.
- We’re making progress on our work to support dark theme in File Explorer and the Common File Dialog, and you’ll see improvements in this build, but we still have some work to do.
- Insiders who use Remote Desktop, project their screen, or have multiple monitors may experience explorer.exe hangs on this build. This issue can also lead to Microsoft Edge hangs.
For all the bugs that today’s build fixes, head over to the official blog post.