Use CardDAV To Sync Google / Gmail Contacts With iOS – How To
Here's how you can set up and sync Google contacts or Gmail contacts with iPhone or iPad using CardDAV.
Setting up contacts to sync with your iPhone or iPad can be a bit of a mess for some users if they're using a third-party email service rather than Apple's very own iCloud. But interestingly, on the face of things, the steps for adding a contacts-only account isn't that hard as one might except, and with majority of us relying on Google for our email and contact related needs, therefore we'll walk our readers on how to set up and use a CardDAV account on iOS for syncing Google and Gmail contacts on the fly.
Set Up And Sync Google / Gmail Contacts With iOS Using CardDAV
1. First and foremost open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Scroll down to 'Mail, Contacts, Calendars' and tap on it.
3. Under the 'Accounts' section, tap on 'Add Account.'
4. Tap on 'Other' at the bottom.
5. Under the 'Contacts' section, tap on 'Add CardDAV account.'
6. You'll now be required to enter your credentials, and since you're adding a Google account for syncing your contacts, therefore fill in your Google account credentials as required. Be sure to set 'Server' to "google.com" - without quotes. Rest is quite self explanatory.
The format should look something like this:
- Server: google.com
- User Name: [your Google account username]
- Password: [your Google account password]
- Description: [anything you like]
Click on 'Next' at the top right hand corner when you're done entering all your credentials.
Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, the CardDAV account will be set right up and your Google and Gmail contacts will start syncing with your iPhone and iPad on the fly.
We highly recommend users to take the CardDAV route as it's more easier to set up solely for contacts if you happen to have a Google / Gmail account at hand. And while we do favor iCloud for its simplicity, as it requires a single sign-in at the beginning to get things rolling, but it's not everyone's cup of tea to switch to Apple's offering overnight. But fret not, we're here to help things as simple as possible and will also guide our readers in the future on how to move Google account contacts to iCloud if you're planning to jump ship, so stay tuned for that!
If you found our above posted guide useful for setting up CardDAV on iOS for syncing contacts, then be sure to let us know about it in the comments section below.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter