The latest stable release v3.9.1 of well known custom ROM Vanilla RootBox is based on Android 4.2.2 and is now available for Galaxy S2 GT-i9300. Vanilla Rootbox offers a very light-weight, fast and customized experience of latest Android 4.2.2 JB. It offers a very light installation with popular features from AOKP, CM10.1 and Paranoid Android. To update Galaxy S2 i9300 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean RootBox v3.9.1, follow this very simple tutorial.
Key features of Vanilla RootBox:
- Per App DPI
- Per App Tablet UI
- Per App Language
- OTA Updates – Goo Manager
- Camera: Save to external memory
- Phone: Advance Phone Settings (Vibrate on Answer, Every 45 Seconds, On Hangup and On Call Waiting)
- Phone: Noise Suppression
- MMS: Message rate alerts (Modify SMS message limit for alert)
- MMS: Fully Customizable MMS Theme
- MMS: Soft Keyboard Type (Emoji, Enter to Send, Enter for a New Line)
- MMS: Emoji Support
- MMS: Read, Delete, Reply and Call options in StatusBar for messages
- Home button call answer (Accessibility Option)
- Variable size pattern lockscreen
- Clock: Increasing Alarm
- Clock: Flip/Shake – Snooze or Dismiss
- Clock: Disable Alarm Icon on Statusbar
Important: this tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy S2 model number GT-i9300. Flashing it on any other Android devices and models can create issues in your handset.
Prerequisites to root Vanilla RootBox Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9300:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device - learn to backup SMS & MMS.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S2 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9300 carries more than 80% of charge.
How to update Galaxy S2 i9300 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean RootBox v 3.9.1:
- Connect Samsung Galaxy S2 to your computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded files to the external card of your galaxy device.
- Disconnect the cable and switch your Galaxy S2 off. Boot in to recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and the Power buttons simultaneously - or try Quick Boot app.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM to be restored later. Select Backup and Restore > Backup. Go back to recovery menu after backup process is done. - very important step since it's a custom ROM and can contain bugs.
- Now we would perform a full data wipe operation on our smartphone. Do so by going to wipe data/factory reset > Yes path. Come back to the main CMW recovery menu and select wipe cache partition, when done, tap on Advance > wipe Dalvik Cache for wiping Dalvik cache data.
- Now from sd card, select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the ROM file from sdCard and select it using power button. Tap on yes to confirm installation and wait for the ROM installation.
- Once done, repeat the above step but this time choose gApps file (gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip) instead of the ROM file.
- Go back to man recovery menu and select reboot system now. Rebooting might take a few minutes so be patient.
That's it! Your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9300 is now upgraded to the latest release of Vanilla RootBox based on Android 4.2.2.