Starbase Is Frozenbyte’s Hugely Ambitious Vertex/Voxel Space Sandbox MMO Due This Year on Steam Early Access
The Finnish developers at Frozenbyte have been far busier than we've thought. They've got Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince in the works, which they're set to showcase at E3 very soon (we've already booked an appointment and will report with impressions), but they were also working on something far bigger and more ambitious.
That something is called Starbase and it's a vertex/voxel sandbox MMO set in space, which could be loosely described as EVE Online meets Minecraft. Starbase has been in secret development for five years and uses a custom made engine that enables complex physics simulations and thousands of players living in the same universe. Funding for this project was provided by Business Finland.
You can already wishlist the game on Steam. Interestingly, the store page includes the recommended system requirements but not the minimum requirements.
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: (64 bit) Windows 10 / 7
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 / Intel i7-6700k
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: Radeon RX Vega 8GB / Nvidia GeForce 1060 8g
- DirectX: Version 11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 15 GB available space
- Additional Notes: The game requires an Internet connection to play. Sandbox mode can be played offline
Destructible environment with voxel and fracture damage and in-depth simulation
- The environment in Starbase is fully destructible, meaning everything can be destroyed or disassembled with the right kind of tools and weaponry.
- The in-depth physics simulation enabled by hybrid voxel/vertex-based game mechanics make fights, exploration and flying spaceships more creative and fun and the simulation of structural and elemental durability in the game adds its own twist and challenge to the efforts to conquer space; poorly designed superstructures combined with overpowered steering thrusters can snap the spaceships in half if cutting corners too much in a space race.
Play and interact online with thousands of players, join factions, and more
- Start shaping the Starbase universe with fellow robots by joining and working for factions.
- Build,fight, chat and group up with other players to discover and settle the vast galaxy that is waiting for its first conquerors to make their mark.
- Mine asteroids by yourself, trade and haul cargo with your friends, or build a capital station with a huge company.
- Take part in the battle between the Empire and the Kingdom, or leisurely explore the galaxy while the insurance system has you covered should you accidentally wander into uncharted space.
- Success in Starbase is not measured in hours played or an endless grind, but in the ingenuity of each player and their ability to work together.
Build and design your spaceship, stations and devices down to the tiniest detail
- The smallest building unit in Starbase is a single bolt, allowing you to build, repair and modify spaceships, stations, and devices as you wish.
- Even the smallest ships have thousands of parts, each with their own detailed damage model, making building and designing a truly creative process.
- Learning to use the in-game programming chips will take building and designing to a new level; innovation, automation of ships and creating clever ship layouts will make all the difference!
Explore the infinite universe and gather resources
- Explore the vast universe to discover stations, social hubs and new raw materials.
- Arrange an exploration mission with friends and find out what the universe has to offer.
- Travel to an asteroid field to mine raw minerals and salvage different materials from broke
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter