Middle-earth: Shadow of War Gets Its Last Story Expansion, Axes Microtransactions Today
Middle-earth: Shadow of War has dropped out of the headlines since launching late last year, but Warner Bros. Interactive has nevertheless stuck by the game, releasing a steady supply of updates and new content. That support is probably about to wind down, but before it does, we’re getting one last story expansion, Desolation of Mordor, and a big free update, which adds a new difficulty level, Nemesis enhancements, and more. Oh, and as promised last month, microtransactions are finally getting the axe. You can check out a trailer for Desolation of Mordor, below.
Desolation of Mordor casts you as Baranor, captain of the doomed city Minas Ithil. It’s up to you to rally the human forces (who often get overlooked in Middle-earth tales) to strike back against Mordor. Here’s what you can expect from the expansion:
- Play as Baranor, the Captain of Minas Ithil and survivor of the city’s demise, in a new story expansion where players can command the forces of Man against a new Orc threat to the East.
- Unite with Torvin, the Dwarven Hunter, to craft powerful new combat gear, including the shield, gauntlet, grapple and kite.
- Hire mercenaries to create a human army and conquer the all-new desert region of Lithlad, lair of the Were-Wyrms.
- Complete a host of new outpost missions and overthrow the imposing Marauder fortress of Shindrâm.
- Fight to survive in Mordor as a human without the power of a Ring or a wraith to cheat death in a new rogue-like campaign mode.
Meanwhile, here are the features included in Shadow of War’s free content update:
- Nemesis System Enhancements – Overlords now have bodyguards, who function the same as Warchief bodyguards and are able to deploy spies.
- Brutal Difficulty – Enemies are as fast and lethal as on Gravewalker difficulty, but damage is increased greatly, and Might and Wrath will fill up faster allowing players to use more special moves.
- New Player Skin – Choose to appear as Baranor in the main story campaign.
- Photo Mode Upgrades – New stickers, styles and filters inspired by the Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion.
- Online Fight Pits & Online Conquests Update – Search for friends by player name when battling it out in online modes.
Desolation of Mordor is part of Shadow of War’s $40 expansion pass, which includes the already-released Slaughter Tribe and Outlaw Tribe Nemesis System expansions, and Blade of Galadriel story expansion. You can also buy Desolation of Mordor à la carte for $20. As of today, you'll no longer be able to buy Gold in the Shadow of War's in-game Market -- you have until July 17 to spend your remaining Gold.
Middle-earth: Shadow of War is available on PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Anybody out there still playing Shadow of War? Might you try the game out now that the microtransactions are gone?
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter